Analog Shield -- low profile access to I/O?

Diagonal

Question

The D2A and A2D connections are on 4x2 headers. Does somebody know a good way to access those signals onto a prototyping shield?  My stack of boards will have a display on top. 

My first thought was a low profile plug that would bring out wires to the side. I could then run those wires to a separate driver to give more current out.

I guess I could make my own shield by solder some long tail connectors onto  generic 0.1 inch spacing. Those connectors seem to be called tall stackable connectors.  I don't need to pass the 3x2 pins that are not on 0.1 centers. Suggestions are welcome.

This is for hobby use.

Edit:  I am now thinking of using an oversized prototyping board with tall connectors soldered in. The Arduino Uno would be on the bottom. The Analog Shield would be next up. The big proto board would be next. The display would be on top. I would put the stack into a case with the big proto board being the mechanical connection to the case, and the other things being above and below. I could and insulating spacers to keep vibration from letting the pieces from coming apart.  Still looking for ideas.  I don't need a lot of space for my custom circuitry. Maybe a couple 14 pin dips and some passive components. And maybe some solder-on screw terminals or some other connectors for wires going out.

2 answers to this question

Hi there! 

It sounds like the idea expressed in your edit is a pretty sound one, and I imagine it would likely work for this system. Just a couple questions, how much vibration are you expecting?  Are you anticipating the vibration to be solely confined to the A2D and D2A connections? And just to clarify, are you intending to place the stack in the case with the display facing up?

Another thing to consider would be how much you think you may have to modify/repair the setup in the future. If you are anticipating frequently having to toy with the circuit then make sure you take that into account when selecting a design.

It will ultimately be carried into and then out of a vehicle. I will be able to supply cigarette lighter circuit power, and I expect to regulate that down to maybe 8 or 10 volts to let let the on-board regulators not have to work too hard. The use in the vehicle would be about a couple hours at a time.

Yes, I will want the display facing up or at least out.

I may tinker at time. I am hoping that most later tinkering will be with software. But I think the header stacking connectors would be reasonable for access and suitable for vibration. I have ordered an received some cute little terminal blocks . 5 connections each, on 0.1 centers. Top screw to pinch down on side wire. The boards above the special interface board will have to be removed to give screw access to attach or detach wires. I am thinking this will maybe be good for the occasional  rewiring. I might hook that to a connector harness, or I might bolt my stack of boards to a radio (that most of the external wires go into) and carry the assembly as a big chunk. I can see building more open and then enclosing after things are working. I have had small circuit boards made before for a 1 or 2 unit build like this will be. But building with a pre-perf board with prototyping solder pads/holes might be sufficient.

Thanks.

Archived