Pmod Doubt in ZYBO

endluri.ram

Question

Hi,

I am using PS and custom IPs to do a IR remote demodulation project. I need IR signal from external circuit. My custom IR Demodulator IP does the work and displays the message received. I need to use one of the Pmod banks. My question is can I use standard/ Hi-speed Pmod bank or am I only allowed to use MIO Pmod to receive the input?

Also when we generate custom IP we get a signal S_AXI_ACLK signal as clock. How can I find the frequency of this clock signal?

Thank You

4 answers to this question

Hello endluri,ram,

You you can use the hi-speed Pmod banks but be careful to not short the pins since they are easily damaged by shorts.

The S_AXI_ACLK signal will be the speed designated by the "FCLK_CLK0 signal in the Clock Config of the ZYNQ PS core.  Check out the attached image.

Hope this helps.

Marshall

fclk_clk0.png

Hi,

I am new to this design so please bear with me. I have few more questions. when we add a simple  custom  peripheral, where is it implemented? In PL or PS?

Procedure I have followed:

1. Add ZPS IP,  run automation , add custom IP  and run automation.

2. Assuming that peripheral is in PL, I have connected peripheral input connection to one of the standard PMOD connectors in XDC file.

3. Generate bit stream and export to SDK. Write an application to test it from SDK.

If the peripheral is in PL, technically I should be able to use any PMOD connected to PL. Why should I use only Hi-speed Pmod? Please explain.

What is exactly the use of PS Pmod? Where is it used? If you can provide an example to make me understand, that would be great. Can I use my custom peripheral to take input from PS Pmod?

Your design flow sounds perfect.  

One thing that can cause issues.  Are you using the ZYBO board definition files in Vivado 2015.1?  The board files for 2014.4 are not compatible with 2015.1.  We need to post the new ones on the wiki.

You can use the hi-speed pmod headers or the low-speed pmod header for any connection through the PL.  I just wanted to mention that the hi-speed headers do not have protection resistors and can be damaged by shorting them.  

The PS PMOD header is for IO coming from the PS that can be configured in the Zynq chip,  The PS PMOD header is labeled as "JF".  Things you could do with the PS PMOD header, output UART0 to the pins on the header, SPI, I2C, etc.  If your custom peripheral communicates over a standard communication protocol then it should be able to be used with the PS PMOD header but if it is a non-standard communication protocol then you are better off running the peripheral through the PL.

Best of Luck!

Marshall

Archived