Nicolas_Olsen

Error Xst:1817 - Invalid target architecture xc3s500efg320-5

Question

Is there anyone who can help me with this error code.

"Error: Xst: 1817 - invalid target architecture xc3s500efg320-5

I bought the book Digital Design Using Digilent FPGA Boards and fully the step by step

It comes with this error code when I try to synthesis.

I use

ISE / webpack 14.1
Nexys 2 board

Error.jpg

Edited by Josh
Added Tags

4 answers to this question

Hello Nicolas,

I have been looking at your problem and I am a bit stumped.  The error sounds like an issue with trying to program the a bit file on a different FPGA but seeing it in synthesis, would indicate that there isn't a license for something in the design that you are trying to build for the FPGA.  

Not that I think this will fix the issue but worth a try, check that the FPGA on your board does say "XC3S500E" underneath "Spartan".  I could see the tools complaining about different chips  

I'm going to email Aldec about this and see if they can help.

Marshall

Here is what I got back from Aldec. 

"I would suggest checking $DesignFolder\Synthesis, check transcript.log or vivado.log

Vivado.log file may indicate if there is a license issue with the XST tool. (I think this is the case)"

Can you print out these logs for me?

Thanks,

Marshall

I just ran across the same problem, which was really just the license issue Marshall mentions.  Mine came about because I have the Xilinx Vivado installed (unlicensed) in addition to the Xilinx ISE WebPack, and when I let the Active-HDL program automatically locate the synthesis tool, it found the Vivado executable first.  I just had to manually browse to the ISE's version of xst.exe and it worked fine.

regards,

Bill