A "real Digital - A Hands-on Approach To Digital Design" Lab Book

jotran00

Question

Hello,

Starting with VHDL coding and working on FPGA, I am interested in this field and need more the improvements for my self in day by days basic.

I have my development board of Spartan6 - FPGA and need to buy the lab book of "Real Digital - A hand-ons Approach To Digital Design" for lab purposes, and get more hands-on or experiences.

I have two questions and need to discussing with all of you:

1. If I use this lab book above, can I use the Spartan-6 to work all or some exercises in this lab book?.

2. Are all exercises in this lab book of "Real Digital - A hand-ons Approach To Digital Design" having their answer keys or the screen captured solutions from their simulations?.

Thanks

6 answers to this question

Hi jotran00,

The "Real Digital - A hands-on approach to Digital Design" book is designed to be a textbook used in a university classroom setting. Consequently, it is structured as a book for professors to teach from and for students to do problems from without being able to look up the answers from the back of the book.  Because of this intentional design, there is no easy way to check the solutions to each of the problems.

Correct me if I am wrong, but what I believe you are looking for is more along the lines of a user guide. Our textbook is not designed as a user guide, but we do offer many modules on learn.digilentinc.com where you can learn how to approach many of the problems.  

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Hi jotran00,

As the "Pmod Guy", I am not as familiar with FPGAs, but from my understanding a Spartan-6 FPGA will have enough ports and computational power to be able to all of the projects in the textbook.  

However, I do not know how the coding implementation and coding environment compare between a Spartan-6 FPGA and a Spartan-3 FPGA (the one that the textbook is based off of), since this is not my field of expertise. I would expect that both the implementation and environment should be very similar between the two types of boards though.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

JColvin

Hi Jotran00, Unfortunately with textbooks they run the risk of getting out dated. for this particular book it hasn't been updated yet to a newer version of Basys or Nexys, however many of the "labs" that were contained in the book have been reformatted on our http://learn.digilentinc.com website. We try not to publish the solutions or keys publicly, but if they are available we will provide them to a professor/educator that has contacted us directly. If you were to purchase this book, the fundamentals are good, but the lab exercises would need to be updated and changed for the Spartan 6 (Nexys3) and we recommend using the learn.digilentinc.com website. Here is an example: https://learn.digilentinc.com/Documents/238

Hello,

If I am labing these exersises in this lab books above by my self (without any instructors), how do I know my results as correction?.

Do you know any methods to show me how to use your selling's lab books for effectively and easily to use for checking the answers?.

Thanks

Hello,

Just simple think about your business to sell your productions as lab books as an example and the buyer as me to use this lab books.

You want to sell as much more lab books to generate your revenues (or moneys) and I would like to use my time and money to buy this lab books to doing labing for earning the experiences or hand-on and make sure these earned experiences on the tracking or directions of the real world technicals. Simply, you get the money and I get the right product that I would like to. Otherwise, your products would not sell at all to customers.

Thanks

Hello JColvin,

Thank for the good explained of your previous responding.

If I buy the lab book of the "Real Digital - A hands-on approach to Digital Design", could I have enough available ports if I use the Spartan-6 FPGA to do some or all exercise in this lab book?.

Thanks

Archived