Support for ARM's CMSIS DAP Debugger

lfschmid

Question

Hi!
I am currently working on a project which uses a particular version of an ARM Cortex M0. Therefore I can not use Xilinx' tools to debug the ARM core directely. Using a Nexys 3 with a Spartan 6 I am looking for other ways to debug it:

• In the ARM forum a user pointed out that ARM has a debugger platform called CMSIS-DAP. Does Digilent support this platform? I currently use a JTAG USB debugger from Digilent, does it support CMSIS-DAP?
  • If not, do you know of any other possibility on how I could debug the ARM core directly and without using Xilinx tools?

Any help is much appreciated!

2 answers to this question

Hey!

As far as ARM Cortex M0 goes, Digilent only provides the hardware. We haven't worked a lot with it in house. But we would still love to help! Do you know what the debugging interface is on the cortex M0 is? There may be a way to port out the correct pins to a Pmod header to debug it with a third party tool. I've started poking around on the ARM site and will let you know if I find anything. http://www.arm.com/support/university/ip/index.php

-Sam

Thank you for your kind offer to help! I actually thought already about this solution but the university version I use does not support to output any debugging pins such as JTAG from the ARM core. I guess I will have to find another way if not with CMSIS-DAP.

Archived