What Xilinx Program to use with JTAG3 and Windows 7?

RyanD

Question

Hi,

I just updated all of our test PCs from XP to Windows 7. 

We were using "Device Programming" from WebPACK_42wp30_full_installer.exe to program our Xilinx XC9500 CPLDs. We use the JTAG3 (Parallel Port) cable to program our devices.

It has become apparent to me, i believe, that there is a compatibility issue with this WebPACK version and Windows 7.

Does anyone know where I can find the WebPACK that will program our CPLDs using Windows 7? I've been on Xilinx's website and there are too many options, so if you could be as specific as possible I would sincerely appreciate it.

Thank you

Ryan

11 answers to this question

Lets see if I can clean some of this up...

Your best option definitely seems to be to use your new XUP cable with ISE 14.7 in Windows 7. Specifically you will need to use the iMPACT tool of ISE. You cannot use Adept, because the XUP cable does not contain "digilent" programming circuitry, so our custom software can't see it.

You should be installing the "Lab tools" version of ISE 14.7 (towards the bottom of the ISE download page on the Xilinx website). This "lightweight" version of ISE only contains the programming tools, including iMPACT. You should then attach the XUP cable to both your board and the computer, open up iMPACT, and select the "Cable Auto connect" (be sure your board is also powered on). If working correctly, you should see a visual representation of your JTAG chain in the iMPACT window. Finally, right Click the XC9500 device, and program it with your .jed file. 

If the procedure above doesn't work, come back here and describe where you run into problems. Hopefully we will be able to get you up and running.

HI Ryan, 

Are you using one of our devices (perhaps much older?) 

Otherwise, the only help I may be able to offer is the following:
It looks like Xilinx may have disabled the use of ISE Webpack on the XC9500 Series. 
Here is the latest on their website: http://www.xilinx.com/publications/matrix/Software_matrix.pdf

I would suggest trying to use a previous version of ISE: 11.x/12.x 
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/15938.html

You should be able to request a previous version of the software if you go through Xilinx's official support channel. 

Hope that helps. 

Ryan,

Since you don't need the full tool set I would recommend using Adept. The first version of Adept should be compatible with the device you are using and you can program with adept using .jed files. Adept doesn't have any design tools but is simply for programming the device. 

Let us know if that works!

Kaitlyn

Hi,

I just purchased a XUP USB-JTAG Programming Cable per your support staff (via email), because only one of the new PCs has a parallel port, and the USB to Parallel cables that I have found on Amazon only work with printers.

Xilinx support channel is a nightmare, but I found the ones you recommended in their archived versions. The question I have is what software should I download? They have 10 choices for each version. Obviously, I will eliminate the Linux, but beyond that, I'm lost. All I need is the Device Programmer.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/design-tools/archive.html

I'll give it a shot in the morning with the one PC that does have a parallel port, using the JTAG3, and see if it programs.

Thanks for your help!

Ryan

All,

First of all, thanks to everyone for helping! Unfortunately, I have tried every combination suggested by all and I'm still stuck.

To recap:

- I am trying to program Xilinx XC95XX CPLDs. I am not doing any development; all of the .jed files are good and have been used for years.

- Our testing stations got upgraded with PCs that are running Windows 7.  We were running PCs with XP. 

- We were using the JTAG3 Parallel Programming cable with XP prior to this. We used WebPACK_42wp30_full_installer to program the CPLDs

- I Purchased a XUP USB-JTAG Programming Cable per the instructions of Digilent Support via email, because the JTAG3 was not compatible with Windows 7. The programmer installed without any problems, but none of the programming applications (Adept, Xilinx ISE) seem to see it. 

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ryan

Archived