Sign in to follow this  
LariSan

Basys3 new product!

Hi LariSan,

I've had my Basys3 for about a week, and I like it lots - it is a much, much bigger faster FPGA than the Basys2.

Is there any reason why the DVD-style cases were discontinued? I quite like being able to keep a board in my laptop bag, and I imagine that EE or CS students found this a great feature.

Is Basys2 going to be discontinued now that Basys3 is launched?

Hi @harrisjd, 

No, the intention is not to discontinue the Basys2 at this time, afterall teaching material is not quick to change! However,  we do highly encourage educators to look at upgrading their curriculums to the Basys3 if possible. 

Hi LariSan,

I've had my Basys3 for about a week, and I like it lots - it is a much, much bigger faster FPGA than the Basys2.

Is there any reason why the DVD-style cases were discontinued? I quite like being able to keep a board in my laptop bag, and I imagine that EE or CS students found this a great feature.

Hello @hamster, 

I am glad you are enjoying the Basys3! Thank you for sharing your neat Bombjack project in our Project Vault!

For the DVD style cases-- 

We polled our student groups and asked them how often they used the cases and the feedback was returned that although students liked the cases... the DVD case was actually too small to contain anything else of use (cables, power supplies, other Pmods). Plus, we have other boards that needed protection (Our Zybo and all of our chipKIT boards all come in the cardboard packaging).

So, we set out to find the right sized case (small enough to put in a laptop bag, but large enough we could put other products inside of it) and after testing several boxes... we found one. 

This box will be available as an adder product on checkout (like the Vivado voucher). 

It will include free stickers and an ESD bag. 

Posted ImageStudent-ProjectBox by digilentinc, on Flickr

Unfortunately we didn't get the box ordered in time to be with the Basys3 launch, so early adopters like you didn't have the option to add it!

However, if you are interested and are one of our first Basys3 users, I will make sure to send you one of our first ones that arrive in the Digilent warehouse. 

Just send me a private message with your shipping details and I'll make sure you get one. 

Hope that helps!