Basys3 crashing windows 7

jmh

Question

20 answers to this question

John,

Thank you for the feed back on using the different usb ports that helps us narrow it down. Is there a specific basys 3 that continually crashes your school computers?  A potential work around is in Vivado to close the hardware manager and If you are using Adept to program the Basys 3 then you should close that program as well before unplugging or turning off. Hopefully this stops the system crashes. 

Jon, the answer to the second part of your question is that the driver is the same no matter which usb port i'm connected to... 2-12-0-0 from 8/26/1014

I can't say for sure if the system has crashed without running vivado or having programming the board. Normally, though, that's what we are doing so we wouldn't normally connect the Basys3 unless we were running Vivado and  programmimg.

I'll check to see if any of the other computers have different versions of the driver.

I'd like to recap my understanding to help us resolve this issue, On your school desktop with specs 

Dell Precision T1700
Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU@3.40 GHz
8.00 GB Installed memory(RAM)

on about half of the 15 or 20 Basys3s when you turn off the power switch on the Basys3 windows often crashes. Also if you just unplug the Basys3 from the usb. All of this is while using vivado and have programed the board. 

What i would like to see if you could find a specific board that crashes and check the usb driver prior to the crash. Also see if the driver changes when you plug into different usb ports as well. Thank you for your help resolving this issue John.

thank you,

Jon 

john,

Could you go to your device manager for your desktop and locate the usb port that the basys 3 is using. Then right click on it and left click on properties. Lastly left click on the driver tab.The driver Provider should be FTDI. Could you let me know what is the driver date and driver version,

thank you,

Jon Peyron

Hi,

I'll try to be ready to photograph the blue screen. I did already but the focus was not good enough. We are using vivado 2014-4

The steps which cause the crash are:

- Plug the Basys3 into the USB on a computer.

- Run Vivado and probably download to the Basys3

-Turn off the Basys3 or unplug it from the USB

I'm not certain running Vivado is a necessary condition to cause the crash -- normally we are running Vivado and programming the Basys3 but who knows.

Thanks,

John

I downloaded a program called BlueScreenView  which tells me that the crashes have to do with ftdibus.sys

I see my computer has 7 copies of the driver. The two in the Digilent folder are the oldest. The one in system32 is the current newest version.

The BlueScreenView program on another computer points to a second problem also. ntoskrnl.exe was implicated

I'm too much of a beginner to understand what the logic analyzer does or would do if I knew how to use it. I had already been considering starting yet another thread in which I try to learn what my $10 license bought me. 

I'll post the messages that come up when there's a crash as soon as I can, that is, when it happens next.

Thanks again, 

later,

John

I was able to drag my picture in this time! This is for the xadcdemo programIMG_20150512_150923_(2).thumb.jpg.73cb76

Hi John, that $10 license is for logic analyzer. I guess the lab person downloaded the Vivado webpack. Here are one of cases from Xilinx forum about Vivado crashes on Windows 7. Perhaps, it is about missing exe file http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/Vivado-2013-3-Crash-on-startup-Windows-7/td-p/388967 I recommend you to log the error code or pop up. 

Alex, I just tried on 3 computers to cause a crash but this time they didn't crash. Certainly it has happened while Vivado is running but we are not sure if it ever happens when Vivado isn't running. I'll try to gather more data next time there's a crash.

We're using the $10 Vivado license that you can get with the Basys3.

Hi John, based on this set up, supposed the Basys 3 should work well. Do you open Vivado Webpack when your turn off the Basys 3? Or, even without running the Vivado Webpack, the windows will crash when you turn off the Basys 3? 

Alex, below is the information for the computer I'm using.

Dell Precision T1700
Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU@3.40 GHz
8.00 GB Installed memory(RAM)

Thanks,

John

Hi Alex,

When you turn off the power switch on the Basys3 windows often crashes. Also if you just unplug the Basys3 from the usb. It never has happened on my laptop but at school where we have 15 or 20 Basys3s it has happened on half of them.

Thanks for your interest,

John

Hi John, it doesn't happen to me. However, can you tell us how it happens? Normally, the Basys 3 only draw small current / power from the laptop through the USB port. It should not interrupt the OS. Can you try other desktops or laptops? 

Archived