Single Male To Male Header Pins For The Analog Discovery

tkpmep

Question

i have an Analog Discovery Oscilloscope, and normally use it with BNC connectors, but now wish to use it with a breadboard, so i'll be using the connector that comes with the 'scope. Unfortunately, all the wires leading out of the connector end in a female connector. Where can i get single header pins to turn the female connector into a male connector to plug into a breadboard? i've tried looking this up at Mouser, but all i see are 5 or more pin headers. i suppose i could break the 6 pin headers that came with the scope into 6 single pin headers, but i'd rather not be destructive if i can help it.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

6 answers to this question

If you want to use the Analog Discovery with a breadboard you will, as you said, need to turn those female headers into male headers. Digikey does have single pin headers available, but based on a per pin basis, it will be a little cheaper to break those larger amounts of pin headers into individual pin headers which can be easily done with pliers or wire cutters.  

Naturally, this will be somewhat tedious to do, but you can always get more of the larger pin headers (Digilent has a set of 5 available here) if something goes wrong. Alternatively, you could also use breadboard jumper wires as your gender changers. I personally prefer the breadboard jumper wires purely because I have a bunch of those right at my desk. In the end, it'll come down to what you'll prefer the most or find the most convenient for your project.  

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Hi Momsk85,

Yeah, unfortunately we don't have any of those 6-pin headers in stock and I'm not sure when they will become available again. 

You can always check a supplier such as Mouser or Digikey for this type of pin header though.

Thanks,

JColvin

JColvin

I tried Mouser, Digikey, etc. etc. - the problem I'm having is sorting through the thousand plus headers they sell - the vast majority seem to be short on one side - for a PCB and long on the other -

I did just discover that Sparkfun sells a longer header on which, they claim, the insulating spacer can slide to adjust to share the pin length as desired...

I may try that.

DaveH

Hi DaveH,

I apologize for not clarifying this, but the two links I provided actually have already sorted through their headers to a relevant selection of 6-pin headers (although the pictures on Mouser don't seem to agree with the claimed sorted values, but Digikey's look fine). I'm not immediately seeing any straight pin headers that have equal spacing on both sides, but you could fairly easily slide the plastic so that leads on both ends are more equally spaced.

Thanks,

JColvin

Archived