chipKIT Max32 and Network Shield revision?

T22

Question

The websites for the chipKIT Max32 and Network Shield both list multiple revisions of schematic (D vs E for the Max32; D vs F for the Network Shield).  Both websites, however, only list a single orderable part number.  What revision / version of hardware am I ordering?  To add to the confusion, I called Digilent today and the sales gal confirmed with shipping that both units are only shipping revision C.  ???

4 answers to this question

Hello,

Here is what I found:

When we update a part we sell out of the current rev and then start to sell the new one. There can be a short time when we are still shipping and earlier rev, but our intent is to be always shipping the newest, highest rev. 

MAX32: We are currently shipping Rev D, we only have 9 left, so sometime next week or so we will be shipping Rev E. If anyone wishes explicitly a Rev E, they can go through customer support and exchange it.

Network Shield, we are shipping Rev C for the foreseeable future.

Regards,

Cristian

Hello,

Here is what I found:

When we update a part we sell out of the current rev and then start to sell the new one. There can be a short time when we are still shipping and earlier rev, but our intent is to be always shipping the newest, highest rev. 

MAX32: We are currently shipping Rev D, we only have 9 left, so sometime next week or so we will be shipping Rev E. If anyone wishes explicitly a Rev E, they can go through customer support and exchange it.

Network Shield, we are shipping Rev C for the foreseeable future.

Regards,

Cristian

​Thank you, Christian.  I indeed received a Rev D Max32 and Rev C Network Shield.  What were the changes in the Max32 between Rev D and E?  From a brief side-by-side comparison of the schematics available on the Digilent website, the only change that stands out to me is in Rev E with the addition of J18.  Anything else?  Why was this implemented?  Thank you!

Hi T22,

J18 was added to Rev E of the Max32 to provide additional access to the default I2C pins. The benefit of these two pins (in addition to the same signals already present on chipKIT pins 20 and 21 present on J4) is to allow the chipKIT Max32 to be in the middle of the I2C daisy chain, which is a generally desired physical feature for I2C.

I believe this was the only hardware change implemented in the Max32.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived