Vivado hardware manager can not find Xilinx FPGA device connected through Digilent JTAG-HS2 cable

Nadia

Question

Hi,

I'd like to program a Kintex ultrascale ku115 Xilinx FPGA using Vivado hardware manager 2016.4. I'm using a Digilent JTAG-HS2 cable to connect to the board because the board has 14-pin JTAG connector only. 

The problem is that, the hardware manager does not find the device on the JTAG chain. I tried it with lower JTAG frequencies too but no luck.

Also, I have the same problem with Kintex kc705 board. I already installed cable drivers and Digilent Adept and restarted the system, but it still does not work.

Is it maybe the Digilent JTAG-HS2 cable that does not work with some Xilinx FPGAs? Or maybe it does not work with Vivado?

image.png.51294ee8b9b21f0175ba17dbb28a6dfc.png

7 answers to this question

Hi @Nadia,

I reached out to our design engineer about your thread and they replied with "That’s odd I’d expect the Xilinx tool to display an ID code even if it doesn’t recognize the device. If this is running on Windows then please have them install the Adept System and run the Adept Application to see if it reports an ID code. Assuming that there isn’t something physically wrong with the HS2 module I’d definitely expect it to work with the KC705 board. I actually expect it to work with the ku115 as well. Hopefully attempting to read back the id code with another application will tell us something useful. Is there a publicly available schematic for the ku115 board that they are trying to use the HS2 with?" 

thank you.

Jon

Thank you @jpeyron. When I run Adept, I get the following

image.png.bb20cf4f357555d9db72280d56bb1aec.png

I'm connected to ku115 through JTAG-HS2 and the ku115 board is mounted on PCIe and is on. I get the same message with kc705.

I didn't understand what you meant by "Is there a publicly available schematic for the ku115 board that they are trying to use the HS2 with?"

Thank you

Nadia

Hi @Nadia,

Sorry for the confusion. We were asking if you had a non proprietary schematic that you could share with us for the ku115 board. I reached out to our design engineer and they responded with " How are you connecting the HS2 to these boards? I assume it’s through the 14-pin adapter that ships with the HS2, but if that’s not the case, then please make sure that they are powering the VREF pin.

There’s a pull-up on the TDO pin so it will read a ‘1’ if nothing is driving that pin. Therefore a device id of “ffffffff” would be seen if nothing is driving the pin (e.g. module not plugged in or connected correctly). It could also read all ‘1’s if there is an onboard programmer that’s driving the JTAG signals. The HS2 should definitely work with the KC705 and the Adept application can definitely configure the XC7K325T. I looked at the KC705 schematic and it looks like there are two programming options: 14-pin Xilinx header (J60) and onboard Digilent USB (U59). If the customer has a USB cable connected to the onboard programmer then Vivado may be enabling the onboard JTAG programmer’s buffers. If that’s the case and you try to use the HS2 at the same time then it likely won’t work because there will be a drive conflict. A similar problem could exist on the KCU1500, which also has an onboard programmer and a header for an external programmer. 

I would suggest trying to confirm that you don’t also have USB cables connected to the onboard programmer. Additionally, if all else fails you could try the onboard programmers. I actually don’t know why you would need to use an HS2 with the KC705 or KCU1500 since both have onboard programmers that are supported in Vivado, but the HS2 should work and they shouldn’t be reading all 1’s."

thank you,

Jon

Thank you Jon.

I'm not using the onboard JTAG at the same time. I think the issue might be that the pinout of the HS2 and that of the JTAG port on the board are not matching, at least not with the way I'm connecting them. This verifies what you said, that Vref is not on. I'll need to get a XUP fly wire assembly to correctly connect them, or get an HS3 instead and try with that. That might work because HS3's pinout matches the board's.  

Archived