PMOD COLOUR sensor

MD AKRAMUDDIN

Question

Hai all,

i am presently working pmod  colour sensor this one

https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/pmod/pmodcolor/reference-manual

in this digilent has provided quick start guide -18 steps to extract the data from the sensor. I am using zedboard for this purpose. now my question is

1. Can i use the own customized i2c controller to extract the data instead of using the digilent ip core ?? what extract i have to do ??

2. Data registers in the above manual given as only low byte clear, red etc there is no high byte given is it correct or any mistake in the manual IF YES which is low and which is HIGH BYTE address??

3.  In the quick start steps , i have confusion

(

1. Collect all 8 data bytes corresponding to the low and high data byte registers of the clear, red, green, and blue data, respectively, waiting to receive an ACK from the Pmod Color between each byte.

here master has to collect the data from the slave so master has to send the ACK to slave how come master has to wait for the ACK ???

I2CReadMultiple(8); //read in the 8 data registers taking advantage of the auto-incrementing pointer

if i am writing verilog code of i2c master i cannot take aadvantage of auto increment ??? i have to individually give register address ?? and collect the data ??

)

4. Finally digilent has provided ip core but to extract the data from it it should be via Zynq processing system or microblaze . so for this i2c controller which i am writing i too hjave to write any c code to extract the data ???

kindly suggest me in this questions

thank you

2 answers to this question

@MD AKRAMUDDIN

1. I am not sure if I understand this question, do you want to create a custom I2C controller in HDL and use it to interact with the Pmod Color? If so, then yes, it is possible.

2. Thank you for pointing this out, I will get it fixed. As an additional note, much of this information is also available in the datasheet for the AMS chip used on the Pmod Color (available here, and linked in the reference manual).

3. Auto-increment is a feature of the chip being interacted with. It may involve slightly more complex verilog, but should be possible. Take a look at the AMS datasheet for timing diagrams.

4. If you are writing your own custom hardware, you do not need to write any C code to interact with the Pmod Color. However, for a Zynq system in particular, you may need to use the ARM processor with C code to collect data from your hardware and forward it to your computer. (Edit, saw that you are using a zedboard, which is a Zynq system...)

Let us know if you have any more questions!

Arthur

Archived