allowed file formats for custom pattern import into Digital Discovery Pattern Generator?

Hermes

Question

Hi:

I know that .csv files can be imported into the Digital Discovery pattern generator,

but I am curious about other formats, and what exactly their syntax/organization needs to look like.

Saw the description of pattern export file formats, but nothing on import.

We are trying to use prober patterns as starting points,

importing into the Digital Discovery pattern generator and then modifying as needed.

Many thanks.

5 answers to this question

Hi @Hermes

The numeric data of columns can be imported where rows are separated by CR or CRLF (carriage return, line feed), and column separator is selectable under gear dropdown next to browse button by separator option. This for CSV file is set to system default group separator (US:comma).
The data values can be two's complement number, binary (b###), hex (x##, 0x##, hx##) For TS signals 'Z' is also accepted.
One of the columns can be imported for bus or separate columns for bus components. For bus components and signals the least significant bit of the number is used as value.

image.png.123d4bc2ff2e92f283787778ae6cb3d8.png
image.png.21db89b4b52ad8449be93e7bb8702850.png

Import file data: first column (Pin0) for Bus[0], second column (Pin1) for Bus[1]...
image.png.2bdfd89fc76dada8418e4147452f681f.png

Hi @attila:

Many thanks for your reply which for some reason I entirely missed.

Unfortunately, my pattern generator interface looks quite different from what you show.

I have a Digital Discovery and just downloaded Waveform 3.8.2 64bit Qt5.6.3 for Windows 10.

With the Digital Discovery attached, the workspace looks like this:

image.png.f1b98d903f950bfcc6c8ea1f65ee72b5.png

and the Patterns tab has an interface looking like this:

image.png.b2b098b9a525d5a7df492741770772d0.png

I see nothing that looks like the Patterns - Import screen that you show at the top of your post.

How do I get there?

This must be really basic, I looked around quite a bit but cannot find an import dialog.

Many thanks

Hermes

image.png

image.png

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:09 AM, attila said:

Hi @Hermes

In the Patterns see the "Clock to Add channels" button, or press the plus sign under the Run button, or right click on the left side of the table, to add signal, bus...

image.png.b70b1c9c3df3123c30168253a491514f.png

Then click on the "Parameters" edit icon to open the Edit dialog:

image.png.b268804a416f2809af3ae83bf3270e33.png

Hi @attila:

Thank you for yesterday's reply, that was really helpful!

So edit the added signal or bus, make it a Custom signal,

that changes the dialog to allow a file import.

The file I had intended to import contains time (in seconds) / level (0 or 1) pairs, it looks like this is not really what the Digilent Discovery wants to do?

Looks like I need to set a fixed clock and then provide a bitstream with one bit per clock pulse?

Not  big deal, just would like to clarify.

Many thanks for the help!!!

clk_data_testreg.csv

Archived