Analog Discovery troubleshooting

Fkawall

Question

12 answers to this question

I read it through and I still could not get my AD 2 to work.

I'll attach my setup and explain my problem better.

I have a Dell Xps 13, which always worked great and never gave me any type of problem.

I downloaded the Waveform 2015 and when I open the program it shows my device but does not connect with it.

I tried uninstalling and installing again WF 2015, but it give me this error :

DptiIO failed ERC: 0x7

Device Configuration Failed. (PLL 3)

USB: 4.88V 236mA AUX 0.00V 0mA.

I don't really know what to do, and if this is a problem from the AD 2 Device or a problem from my Computer.

Thank you

Capture3.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture1.JPG

I am having similar PLL1 issues on startup with previously functioning AD2, and I see other threads with same  issue including new out of box units

It is not clear what the currents in the error message represent

Actual draw or available current ?

I have tried 3 computers , multiple ports and with and without the Digilent AC adapter

Current stated in error message  with PC supply only ,will vary from 1000 ma  to 60 ma , with typical value at 250 +/-10

With AC adapter the USB current  drops to minimal 4 ma and the adapter shows the 250 +/- 10

dadutil shows the device

Product name   Analog Discovery2

User Name       Discovery2

Serial         210321A41853

Product ID   40300360

Firmware 010A

Transport 00020001 USB

Capability 00000000

dsumecfg readbootsec or read sec 1 fails with error message

failed to initialize scan chain

failed to configure FPGA

djtcnfg init fails with error message

failed to initiate JTAC ecc1

I haven't powered up the AD2 in several months , but have been assembling a custom breakout board and test assembling PC mount header connectors to the unit.

I am concerned about the recent posts of this type error .

I have invested design time around the AD2 and must be sure  it is not a flaw before I buy a replacement and continue down the path I am on

Have any returned units be analyzed for the origin of the fault?

Hi @Jon Frey

The application errors (PLL...) indicate insufficient power. In this case try using different USB plug, cable, powered hub or auxiliary 5V supply. The USB voltage/current in the message is the last reading before failure.
The dsumecfg and djtgcfg applications do not support AD. It is expected these to report failure.

As stated, I have tried 3 computers , different ports , two cables .

Adding the AC adapter makes no difference

Includes the equipment where the AD2 was previously working

The highest power setup will repeatedly show 1058 ma , but AD2 will not boot.

After repeated attempts in Waveforms, with no physical change to the setup , the current shown typically drops to 250ma

It will then repeat that level on further attempts , with a infrequent drop to around  63 ma

Voltage does not appear to be an issue , error message voltage is 5v =/- 1%

In other posts of this issue I see similar numbers .

One post shows AD2 functioning with operating current at 960 ma

Questions

1) Is the error triggered by an internal current reading, or some other cue? Should I break out a USB cable to verify current provided ?

2) What is the required start and operating current ? Can not be more than 500 ma for USB2 standard ports

3) PLL Failure at 1058 ma should not occur?

4) The AC adapter is capable of 4000 ma , but the boot up sequence is unclear. Will the AD2 switch from USB to adapter prior to initiating the rest of the device ?

5) Is there any method via the SDK to  query the verify the device is actually failed and it is not a software error reporting a false positive and then preventing Waveforms from launching? ( Since the Adept utilities are not applicable )

I have already ordered another AD2

I cannot afford the same issue with it, and do not even want to power it until I understand this problem,

I am on hold with my project until resolved

Future need will be 3 to 5 units , one or two for excitation, one or two for data and one for general use on circuitry

Can I send in the problem unit for examination?

Hi @Jon Frey

Are you using the AD2 alone without any external circuit connected?
Make sure you are using the latest software version. https://reference.digilentinc.com/waveforms3

To reply to your questions:
2. When connecting from the application/software to the device internal ICs are started and the power consumption increases to about 2W, ~400mA at 5V. If the voltage drops on the cabling and contacts the taken current will increase.
1. In case the USB current reaches 1A the device powering is stopped which leads to communication (DptiIO) error. The auxiliar 5V supply is stopped at ~3A or when it is out of 4.11-5.76V range. https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/instrumentation/analog-discovery-2/reference-manual#usb_power_control
3. The 1058 mA is the top of the USB current reading scale. At this value the USB supply should be already stopped, so it is more likely a communication problem with the power monitor IC.
4. Initially both USB and AUX supplies are enabled as long the voltage and currents are in range. After the device is configured and having valid AUX supply the USB powering is disabled with EN_VBUS.
5. The application uses the same functions as the ones provided by the SDK.

For warranty and replacement please contact support@digilentinc.com specifying the Date of Purchase, Seller and Purchase Order/ Web order Number.

I am trying to boot with a bare AD2.only.

New questions

6) What does the LED flash represent ? I obtain LED flash state ,only after boot attempt, and it exhibits correct power supply status ( Double flash with aux attached , single with USB only.

7) When first starting Waveforms , the device is recognized and a window appears loading the serial number etc

Next the PLL lock error appears , from apparent auto boot attempt.

Closing the PLL error window ,a " no device  found error message"  appears that was hidden under the PLL window

I assume this is simply a messaging problem and the no device found error should have been superseded by the loading data screen  ?

Going back to question 1 ) Is the error triggered by an internal current reading, or some other cue? Should I break out a USB cable to verify current provided ?

I am interpreting your response as the PLL error is only triggered by current excess or voltage out of range.

There is no subsequent error thrown for timing clock not started?

Reviewing the manual on power up,monitoring actual startup  events will require some effort due to the timers in the power monitoring.

I have received my new AD2, so can use it to troubleshoot problem unit.

I have ordered a powered ( 2.5 amp ) USB hub, USB cable breakout boards , a current to voltage analog converter board

I will see if I can monitor and capture USB supply voltage and current on the malfunctioning unit and report back results

Materials wont arrive for several days

Hi @Jon Frey

6. The LED starts flashing after the device is configured by the PC software/application.
7. Could you post a screenshot? I suppose you are getting "DptiIO failed..PLL..." error which indicates that the communication with the device was stopped.
On application start it tries to connect to a device, if this fails or no device is found "No device detected" is shown. The "no device" shows up after the earlier error is closed.
The communication can fail if the device drains too much current USB (1A), AUX (3A) or voltage gets out of 4.11-5.76V range. The device needs about 2W but in case the USB voltage drops too much this could lead to current increase. The host (PC) could also stop the device due to some current limitation.

Is the new AD2 working?
In case it is, most likely the previous AD2 is defective, so try asking for replacement.

The new AD2 is functioning correctly.

My parts to capture the startup current and voltages on the malfunction unit have been delayed by the northeast weather conditions.

I will still want to do that , I am suspicions that the detected and displayed currents are in error

Screen shots with explanation per request

Screen shot on cold start, device plugged into USB, Waveforms launched  ,( device data is being read, setup started I presume )

This is a "splash screen" that closes itself

Capture4.PNG.ac8bf9bac8693c5dd37ddc8509956c83.PNG

Next screen is  PLL error message , cold start current can be 1058 to 263 ma

Hot start runs 263 to 63 ma

Capture1.PNG.12013d3a1340b83d7734138667fadb74.PNG

Closing this screen gives , device not found error 

Capture2.PNG.e93a9df85e45ed9012c7f72f65658a73.PNG

However ,the status light is on and closing this window shows the AD2 listed able to be selected.

The sequence repeats itself if trying to boot by selecting the device.

The first splash screen may or may not repeat and the currents reported in the error message vary , but have the three common average values 

1058, 265, 63

Aha! Doe we have a bit error    64, (128), 256, (512), 1024

The status light does not appear change when initiating hot starts

Closing the "No device detected ", error presents  the Capture5.PNG.8e701adc0c1ace9be1a47b6b3fef0fd8.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Hi @Jon Frey

This error shows that the device PLL (ADF4360-9) does not get locked.
https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/instrumentation/analog-discovery-2/reference-manual#clock_generator

You have in private message the latest beta version of the software, which fixes some ADC/DAC clocking issues and improves the scope noise floor, but it probably won't help this PLL error, which looks like a hardware issue.

For warranty and replacement please contact support@digilentinc.com specifying the Date of Purchase, Seller and Purchase Order/ Web order Number.

5a6638e798311_AD2Coldstart2.thumb.png.824c3bc9c4bb473ad74d4927842002e0.png

Managed to capture startup sequence with the new AD2.

Conversion is 1 mv to 1 ma

Shows the failed start  and  retry after 125 MS .

Did not see it reached cutoff currents to cause failure and the reported current in the error message did not match the reading on the scope

Could not capture any time it reached the steady state , delay was too long

Any time it reached flashing ready light status the current was around 246 ma

I am confident in the current readings from my setup, current reported on the new AD2 status bar and the instrument setup are within 5%

New AD2 , without any load pulls around 300 ma at 5.00 supply from USB cable

I also see a voltage discrepancy of about 4 % between what the AD2 voltmeter reads and the status bar state

Thanks for the help , I will pursue this as a latent hardware failure with sales.

I was hoping it was not deceased . merely confused..

Archived