CharlesS

Current capability of DIO on EEBoard

Question

Hello,

On Digilent's EEBoard, what is the max safe sink/source current for any one digital I/O pin/channel?

An internet search, and parsing the Spartan 3 datasheet, suggest 8mA per pad/pin. If so, that's really unfortunate; I'd rather not have to buffer this 10~15mA IR LED if I can avoid it.

-Charlie

Edited by Josh
Added Tags

3 answers to this question

Hello,

This should work with Electronics Explorer because the digital IO pins are configured to 16mA drive and have 220Ω PTC thermistor. 

Oh, cool.

That also happens to explain why my LED is a bit dim. I was thinking I was maybe overloading the pin, and thus, seeing a voltage drop off the sourcing p-FET. But I guess I just needed to account for the PTC resistance in my LED current calculations; that's excellent.

I was actually a bit upset because it looked like the EEboard didn't have any protection for the DIO, but all those ~0603 resistors in a row are actually polly fuses eh? ... Good to know. Though, I think I still would have preferred socketed buffer IC's myself.

In any case, thanks for the info.
-Charlie

Yes, the PRG18BB221 PTCs are those 37 in a row.

In case the current is not enough you could use two or more digital IOs to drive your circuit.