NetFPGA-SUME's reference_nic project not running well

samswh

Question

Greetings!

I'm trying to use NetFPGA-SUME as a NIC and I tried the reference_nic design (in package NetFPGA-SUME-live-release_1.5.0) without changes.

However the throughput is quite disappointing: ~2Gbps for RX and ~200Mbps for TX, while the other side of the cable is an Intel 10G NIC.

I have spent some time on the source codes and currently I may expect a pair of descriptor rings to improve the performance.

I'm not confident that I did everything right, so before stepping forward, I'd like to know:

• Is the throughput acceptable with the current reference_nic design?
  • If yes, how to improve the throughput and make full use of the bandwidth?
  • If no, is there any special configuration for the reference_nic project?

Many thanks in advance!

Sam

3 answers to this question

Hi, I recommend you to email this question to the NetFPGA SUME group. They have better idea about the NIC reference design. Since you register their git already. There is community email address. You can send questions to that email address. The community member will help you. 

Hi @samswh,

If you are not already registered with the NetFPGA SUME group, you can use the registration link located on the "Getting Started" page here. Once registered, you should use the NetFPGA forum to post your question about the NIC reference design. So you are aware, it can take up to a week to be approved in the NetFPGA forum.

thank you,

Jon

Hi @Alex and @jpeyron,

Thanks for your suggestions and sorry for the late reply.

I did registered with the NetFPGA-SUME group following your instructions.

However, before I got approved, one of my colleagues has successfully adopted another solution which performs much better than the reference_nic one.

After that we focused on the new solution and gave up with the reference_nic project.

With the registration, I will follow the updates in the NetFPGA-SUME group, which would be beneficial in long term.

Thank you and happy new year!

Sam

Archived