Read/Write over USB Zybo Z7

Scottie

Question

Hi All,

I'm working on a project that requires me to read a file from a PC (mac, windows, or linux), or external thumb drive onto Xilinx Zybo Z7 board. The communication does not have to be over USB however it does have to be able to read a file either on a USB or a Computer as well as write to that same device. I've looked at several different forums and can't find anything that would make this seem doable. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your help. 

If you could provide an example of a small working project that would be immeasurably helpful.

5 answers to this question

Hi @Scottie,

I would suggest to use Petalinux if possible. Do you have the zybo-z7-20 or zybo-z7-10? If you have the zybo-z7-20 we have a petalinux project available hereHere is the resource center for the Zybo Z7. I would not suggest trying to use the the usb OTG without petalinux. You should be able to use the ethernet for this project using the zynq processor if you are not inclined to use petalinux. Unfortunately the furthest I have done with the ethernet on our boards is an echo server so there is not a lot of examples for this.

thank you,

Jon

Hi @jpeyron,

We are using the Zybo-z7-10 board. Looking very briefly at the petalinux project you linked above it seems that communication over ethernet would be our best bet. The end goal of this project is to be able to read and write to a plaintext file from a thumb drive or any OS on a computer. Unless I am misunderstanding petalinux cannot read files that haven't been properly formatted for that system, correct? If we are communicating over ethernet how might we go about that?

Thanks for your help.

Archived