Worst kind of problem; Same solution as before now doesn't work

Tickstart

Question

Don't know if there's a bug in Vivado or something but something that has worked before now doesn't for some reason. All I did was modify some options inside an IP in a couple of my block designs, which I've since changed back to their default but it doesn't make a difference. The option I changed was to use "minimum area" vs "low power" in a Block Memory Generator. In my opinion this shouldn't even matter in regards to actual functionality, but what do I know.

All of a sudden my block designs don't seem to be synthesized at all, I've tried resetting something blabla output products (don't know what this means), choosing Out-of-context per IP or global or out of context per block design etc (no clue what these mean either). It worked before, still got the same "[Project 1-486] Could not resolve non-primitive black box cell 'IMG_MEM_...." but that didn't seem to matter.

Not even sure that has anything to do with it. But post-synthesis I notice no BRAM is used, which my IPs do use, so they are probably ignored somehow.

3 answers to this question

Okay, I did make some progress just now. Seems Vivado had bugged out and added an enable-pin which I didn't agree to. I removed it and now it works again. Get your act together Xilinx!

Ah, seems the Block Memory Generator cannot produce a "low power"-implementation without the enb-reset pin enabled, or something. That explains it. It added it automatically and when I swapped back it did not remove the enb pin again. 

@Tickstart,

<rant>

This is *exactly* one of the reasons why I really dislike binary files as components of a design.  I want to be able to run a "diff" on any source or Make files and know *exactly* what changed between something working and something not working.

</rant>

Incidentally, I've also suffered from this problem as well ... even among those portions of my projects that have been text files alone.  :D

Dan

Archived