Question

Hello,

i have since a few days a new arty-z-20 board and i like to learn from the rare examples for that board. I found one example which seems to be the base for Linux (Arty-Z7-20-linux_bd-master). This example was made with the Vivado 2016.4 Suite, but i use the current Vivado Suite (2017.3). In that example are two ip`s that could not be upgraded, because they no longer exists in the current Vivado Suite.

Where can i get some working examples with Vivado 2017.3 and higher Support for my new Arty-Z7-20 board?

My first Arty board was the Artix-7 "original" board. I had found all the examples that i needed to learn from the beginning to the full scale microblaze architecture. I made good experiences, but now i'am not happy with that arty-Z7-20 board!

How do i build the simplest Zynq architecture with UART and "bare metal" OS?

How do i build the very easiest Linux architecture and what ip's do i need for that? 

I have a lot more questions...

Thank you...

5 answers to this question

Hello @deppenkaiser,

Unfortunately, we don't have any updated tutorials beyond 2016.4 for the Arty Z7-20 at this point in time; we will update them, but likely not until a bit after 2017.4 is released.

I think some of your questions were addressed in your other threads, but you can find a tutorial on getting bare metal going for a Zynq chip here: https://reference.digilentinc.com/vivado/getting-started-with-ipi/start.

As for the very easiest Linux architecture, I imagine that would be the one where you have to do the least amount of work, but it looks like we have a Petalinux project for the Arty Z7-20 on our GitHub available here: https://github.com/Digilent/Petalinux-Arty-Z7-20. It uses Petalinux 2017.2 though so it won't exactly match what you are working with, but it's a good place to start. 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hello @JColvin,

thank you for your answer.

I should tell you, that i'am now able to create a bare metal simple "Hello World" Project, but i must do more than expected (disable a lot of unused Hardware); but it's ok!

I read the "bare metal" tutorial you gave me and i'am a bit confused because of this:

"4.8

Click the Add IP button (add-ip.png) and search for 'MicroBlaze'. Select MicroBlaze from the list of results and press Enter on the keyboard to continue."

Why is there a microblaze?

Today i will read and try the Linux example, i hope it creates less confusion :-)

Everything is fine! Thank you...

Hello @JColvin,

for your info:

The filenames are too long in the base-linux Project which is needed for the petalinux Project. but if i reconfigure my developement Environment and use a Directory called "work" in the root Directory than it works (Windows 7 64-bit).

Best regards

deppenkaiser

Hello @JColvin,

here is my petalinux result:

I think, that i must use the base Project "This petalinux project targets the Vivado block diagram project found here: https://github.com/Digilent/Arty-Z7-20-base-linux.".

If i do so, then i get the following Problem: There are four ip-cores used that are not available in the current vivado Suite.

base-linux-problem.thumb.JPG.e78e17fbc2da28016cd53689e0fb9b99.JPG

i can not use the example because of the unknown ip-cores. Can you give me the smallest and easiest vivado-system that is able to host a Linux OS?

Thank you...