MTDS Flashes Once and goes dark

JoeZinc

Question

Hello All :

I'm looking for some guidance :

The MTDS arrived today new out of the box plugged into a MEGA 2560 

Running Arduino 1.8.5 IDE  all libraries appear to have loaded, all sketches appear to have loaded, Demos compile and upload to to the MTDS without error. 

The screen flashes "white" once and goes dark. The back light is on...

The MyDispDemo sketches and MtdsDemo sketches will run on the Uno Board 

Setting the CS_HOST pin Hi or LO does not appear to make a difference. 

pinMode(10, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(10, LOW);

mtds.begin() failed  

4 answers to this question

Hello @JoeZinc,

Just to confirm, you are working with the Pmod MTDS? If so, what pins are you connected to on the MEGA 2560? From my understanding, the MEGA 2560 does not use the same SPI pin numbers as the Uno board, rather it uses pin 50 as MISO, 51 as MOSI, 52 as SCK, and 53 as SS, so you would likely need to instead use

pinMode(53, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(10, LOW);

instead, provided that the other pins are plugged into the expected locations by the MTDS library. 

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank you,
JColvin

Thanks J:

The response is much appreciated

I'm using the PN 410-317  from digikey:

http://store.digilentinc.com/multi-touch-display-shield-smart-display/

pinMode(53, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(10, LOW);

Did not make a difference ,although I admit I'm not confident on WHERE is should place that code. It compiles loads and runs as before. I have monitored and can see the CS pin on the MTDS toggle as the upload progresses on both the UNI and the MEGA...from roughly 3.3 to nearly 5 volts 

Hi @JoeZinc,

I definitely just noticed now that I put the wrong code, putting digitalWrite(10, LOW) rather than digitalWrite(53, LOW). I've updated my old post to reflect that better.

Unfortunately though, since you are using the shield version of the MTDS rather than the Pmod version, I not sure if it is pin compatible due to the different layout of pins. I'll get the hardware together (a Max32, which is a pin equivalent of the MEGA 2560) and a MTDS shield (as opposed to the Pmod version which I have) and let you know what I find, hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JoeZinc

We tried it with our board and unfortunately it does seem that the shield is not pin compatible with the Max32 or the MEGA 2560. The code is able to compile and upload successfully, but we too only get the brief white flash of the screen with the backlight staying on. I will make sure our documentation reflects which boards are supported.

Thank you,
JColvin

Archived