Nexys 4 DDR - USB Keyboard Selftest

blobology

Question

Hello,

After downloading the project code found here: https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/nexys-4-ddr-keyboard-demo/start and programming my Nexys4 DDR, I can not get my board to read keyboard inputs. I've tried three different USB keyboards (Apple, Razor, and Logitech). To make sure that there was nothing wrong with the USB port, I performed the selftest as specified in the manual: "Connecting a mouse to the USB-HID Mouse port will allow the pointer on the VGA display to be controlled. Only mice compatible with the Boot Mouse HID interface are supported." One of the mice I tested allowed me to move the pointer on the VGA display. This leads me to believe that the USB port on my board is working.

So I have three questions moving forward:

Do I need a specific jumper configuration to read keyboard input?

Does anyone know of a make/model of keyboard which is guaranteed to work with the board?

Are there any self tests to show that keyboard input is indeed being received? I found this in the manual under section 3.3 of the reference manual: "For example, if a USB keyboard is plugged in, a rapid blink will signal the receipt of an HID input report from the keyboard." However, its placement in the manual leaves me uncertain that it is in fact a built in self test. That is, I am unsure if a keyboard plugged in during the demo configuration will make the "busy" light blink rapidly.

Thank you. 

5 answers to this question

Hi @blobology,

We do not have a self test for the keyboard input.  I would suggest to use a very basic usb wired keyboard like this.  The keyboard can not have extra abilities beyond the basics. If the mouse is working with the usb then I do not think you have an issue with the usb but rather do not have a keyboard that is compatible in this situation. You can look at R154, R155, R157, R158 as shown in the schematic here on page 7 to see input.

thank you,

JOn 

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread/answer.

I have a similar problem. I have tried a couple of keyboards and none work. I occasionally get scancodes out of them but most of the time it's random stuff. All of them are very basic, with no extra keys or feature. They all work in my computers' BIOSes, so they should support the boot protocol that is apparently necessary according to the nexys4 ddr manual. I suspect something is wrong with the way the keyboard is read by the PIC24, or the PS/2 emulation is generated.

Is there a list of keyboards known to work? Can I be sure about the one you linked from Amazon? It is a really hard problem to solve, given how many make/models there are.

Thanks!

Thanks.

In the meantime I've tried with a bunch of old keyboard from a surplus store around here and had no luck whatsoever.

I have also made some observations on how a 'modern' basic keyboard fails. I'll try and start another thread in case it's relevant.

Thanks!

Archived