Pmod OLED

hananson

Question

Hi, 
I'm starting to work with my new zybo with all kinds of Pmods - using Vivado and SDK.

In the SDK - I'm using the the c code examples and trying to understand them.
I've been wondering - where can I get some additional information about the Pmods built-in library functions?

for example: OLED_DisplayOff (&myDevice);  - is very clear.
but:               OLED_SetDrawMode(&myDevice, OledModeXor);  - is not that clear, and I would like to know what it does, and what parameters do I have.

Is there a list of functions and parameters for all the Pmods?

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

@hananson,

Having made a PMod OLEDrgb run from an FPGA, I think you'll find the documentation you need in a couple of places.  Perhaps the first and primary place is in the SSD1331 datasheet.  This will tell you what all of the commands are that can be issued to the device, and what those commands do.

This wasn't enough for me, however, since the initialization sequence of the SSD1331 is not trivial.  I also needed to examine the MPIDE code for the  PModOLEDrgb to get that part up and running.

You can see my project here.  The Verilog portion of the OLED controller is here.  The controller responds to the wishbone bus, so you might find that controller kind of sparse regarding what you need to know.  That wishbone bus is controlled by the ZipCPU, rather than microBlaze, and you can find the software for a ZipCPU OLEDrgb demo here.  For the most part, the only thing I ever did was copy images to the OLEDrgb using a DMA controller, so I haven't gotten so deep a to write text to the device (yet), but I may do so in the future.

Hopefully this helps.  If not, let me know what more you need.

Dan

Thanks for your help!

I am still looking for a list of built-in C code functions such as I mentioned - for instance:

OLED_DisplayOff (&myDevice); 
OLED_SetDrawMode(&myDevice, OledModeXor);
OLED_ClearBuffer(&myDevice);
OLED_PutString(&myDevice, "PmodOLED");

I did not find it in the links you attached. 

(Im with Pmod OLED - not OLEDrgb)

Another question: Is there a PC emulator to zybo and pmods? (Such as Proteus for PIC/Arduino)

Hi @hananson,

You can find the c code for the functions you mentioned in the following locations:

OLED_DisplayOff -- in OledDriver.c
OLED_SetDrawMode -- in OledGrph.c
OLED_ClearBuffer -- in OledDriver.c
OLED_PutString -- in OledChar.c

If you are looking for other functions, you can look at the PmodOLED.h which lists the OLED file the function is associated with.

The datasheet specific for the Pmod OLED can be found here. Note however, that not every function is built directly into the OLED driver chip; some of the functions, such as the clear buffer and put string functions are the host board's use or to conveniently macro a series of functions. 

I'm personally not aware of a simulator for Xilinx SDK. 

Otherwise, there is a pdf document listing the functions used for the Pmod OLED in the "Library and MPIDE Example" available on the Pmod OLED Resource Center.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank you,
JColvin

Archived