Zybo Z7-10 audio passthrough

aytli

Question

Hello,

I'm working on an audio project with a Zybo Z7-10 board (with Vivado 2016.4), and as a starting point I'm trying to set it up as an audio passthrough. I've been working off of the DMA audio demo, but I can't seem to get it to output a continuous stream. Is there a way to modify it so that the sound input can be immediately routed to the output without having to record it first?

4 answers to this question

Hi @aytli,

I have not worked with the zybo-z7-10 dma project.I do not see a reason why the sound input can not be immediately routed to the output without having to record it first.  Here is a forum dealing with the audio on the zybo which uses the same codec so should be helpful.  Here is an Instructable that might be helpful as well.

thank you,

Jon

Hi @jpeyron

The DMA audio demo uses the d_axi_i2s_audio IP core, which has a S2MM output and MM2S input. The first thing I've tried was to route the output directly into the input, which didn't work. In addition, the way the C code handles recording is by configuring the DMA block to record, then telling the i2s core to store N bytes from the input into a register.

The HDMI demo works by reading video data into a series of video buffers, and displaying image data from a series of frame buffers. I can make an HDMI passthrough by pointing the display output buffer to the video input buffer. I'm wondering if there's a similar solution for audio.

I've had some trouble getting that instructables project to work. The i2s controller looks fine, but the SerialEffects block doesn't seem to match the block diagram (which is really blurry). I'll try it again and see if I missed something.

Does that d_axi_i2s_audio IP core have any documentation?

On 11/21/2017 at 4:47 PM, aytli said:

Hi @jpeyron

The DMA audio demo uses the d_axi_i2s_audio IP core, which has a S2MM output and MM2S input. The first thing I've tried was to route the output directly into the input, which didn't work. In addition, the way the C code handles recording is by configuring the DMA block to record, then telling the i2s core to store N bytes from the input into a register.

The HDMI demo works by reading video data into a series of video buffers, and displaying image data from a series of frame buffers. I can make an HDMI passthrough by pointing the display output buffer to the video input buffer. I'm wondering if there's a similar solution for audio.

I've had some trouble getting that instructables project to work. The i2s controller looks fine, but the SerialEffects block doesn't seem to match the block diagram (which is really blurry). I'll try it again and see if I missed something.

Does that d_axi_i2s_audio IP core have any documentation?

Might be a little late, but did you manage to get this passthrough working and if so, how?

Archived