Adept File Data Transfer to Cmod S6 FPGA Application

philwmay

Question

I'm new to using the Diligent FPGA products and I have a question about how to use the Adept software with the Cmod S6 board.

I would like to use Adept to transfer application data (24 bit pixel color values) from a PC disk file to my Cmod S6 FPGA application. I plan to implement the Diligent Parallel Interface Module Reference Design in my FPGA based on the DPIMREF.VHD example.  My question is:

Does the Adept software running on the PC require the data file to be in a specific format (such as EDIF) or can I send a binary file which is essentially a non-standard sequence of 8 bit data bytes in my own format to be processed by my FPGA application? Note that the file size could range from kilobytes up to a few Megabytes. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Phil May

3 answers to this question

I'll expand a bit... It will be up to your PC side software to parse the data file and then perform Adept SDK API calls to transfer the data. So any file you are willing to write code to parse is acceptable.

Also note that the CmodS6 does not implement the DPIM interface, it actually implements the DEPP interface. Your PC side software will need to make calls into the DEPP API. That said, the dpimref.vhd does implement a DEPP register set, but you would be better off using the CmodS6 specific example to start off. This project is called the "Cmod S6 factory-loaded demonstration project." (DSD-0000443), and is available here: http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,400,1227&Prod=CMOD-S6. The Cmod S6 Reference manual describes how to use DEPP writes and this demo to control the I/O pins. A good starting point would be to write a custom program that used DEPP calls to do exactly that. Hopefully that will give you enough understanding of the DEPP interface to implement your custom application.

Archived