Cant generate bitstream on hdmi-out for ArtyZ7

TransAmDan

Question

Just got the ArtyZ7 yesterday. I have been using Xilinx FPGA's many years ago, recently been using Actel. The xilinx design suite has certainly changed since i last used it. Wanting to dabble with creating a FPGA design with a CPU inside. Good experience for home use, but may also come in handy in my line of work.

So to get started I downloaded the hdmi-out demo. Got the latest project using the Git system, ran the tcl script, copied in libraries, click build.

I get this error:-

[DRC NSTD-1] Unspecified I/O Standard: 7 out of 145 logical ports use I/O standard (IOSTANDARD) value 'DEFAULT', instead of a user assigned specific value. This may cause I/O contention or incompatibility with the board power or connectivity affecting performance, signal integrity or in extreme cases cause damage to the device or the components to which it is connected. To correct this violation, specify all I/O standards. This design will fail to generate a bitstream unless all logical ports have a user specified I/O standard value defined. To allow bitstream creation with unspecified I/O standard values (not recommended), use this command: set_property SEVERITY {Warning} [get_drc_checks NSTD-1].  NOTE: When using the Vivado Runs infrastructure (e.g. launch_runs Tcl command), add this command to a .tcl file and add that file as a pre-hook for write_bitstream step for the implementation run. Problem ports: HDMI_DDC_scl_i, HDMI_DDC_scl_o, HDMI_DDC_scl_t, HDMI_DDC_sda_i, HDMI_DDC_sda_o, HDMI_DDC_sda_t, and HDMI_HPD_tri_i[0].

The only constraints file i have is attached. 

Do i need to fudge something to get it to work, or import another constraints file from somewhere?

Many Thanks in advance.

ArtyZ7_B.xdc

4 answers to this question

Edited the constraints file to make it reflect the schematic. It now compiled, and I think it has generated the bitstream.

How do I get this into the board?  Do I need to buy a separate programmer?

If I open Target It comes up with Localhost, it does this weather a USB cable is connected or not, so think that is just a red herring. 

When I plug in the USB and check device manager it is showing as a serial comms device. however the Vivado seems to be connecting on Network, do I have to run some mapping code to route network to serial?  

Hi @TransAmDan,

For your first post. The Arty-Z7-20 HDMI-OUT was made for Vivado 2016.4. Unfortunately versions matter. You will need to edit the system.tcl located "hdmi_out/src/bd/system.tcl" to reflect the version of vivado you are using. So in your case change 2016.4 to 2017.3. Then open the project and upgrade/generate the IPs at tools->reports->report IP status. Then create a wrapper and generate a bitstream. Export the hardware including the bitstream and launch SDK. Once in SDK import the sdk applications from the sdk folder. Program the FPGA and then  right click on the HDMI-demo and run-launch on hardware(system debugger).  On your Second and third post. What is the OS you are using? If you have the Arty-Z& pluggeddo you see the arty-Z7 in the device manager under ports and Universal Serial bus controllers? Do you see device changes in the device manage when you plug and unplug the Arty-Z7? Download the Adept 2 software from here. Can you see the Arty-Z7 in Adept 2? Also the tutorial you are using is for the Arty and not the Arty-Z7. JP1 is a different jumper on the Arty-Z7. The tutorial is trying to make sure that you have the mode correctly selected on the Arty. For the Arty-Z7 the jumper is JP4 and It should be set to JTAG to just program the FPGA. If you are trying to program the flash then have it set to QSPI. 

cheers,

Jon

Thanks Jon, downloading Adept2 saw the board, I zapped in the bit file from there. Closed Adept2 and went back into Vivado and now the hardware manager seems to see it and i can program the device. Thats great stuff, no stopping me now. lol.

Just made an LED flash and used the PLL to multiply it up to 250Mhz (just aiming for something different to input clock), and run a counter chain to divide down, and i can see the LED flashing.First program is in the board :P

Next job is to see how about writing some C code to run the processor, now all of that is new to me. I'll try to get the HDMI demo to run. Thanks for your advice.

Archived