The USB type A (the USB OTG) is not working

ashkan

Question

Hello 

I just received my Zybo Z7-10 board a few days ago, and have been working on it. I think the USB type A (the USB OTG) is not working. Because I have plugged a simple flash memory with a LED on its back and when I plug it, its LED doesn't turn on. I have another FPGA board "Basys3", and if I plug my flash memory, the back LED on flash memory turns on. I have implemented a Petalinux on the board and it cannot also recognize that USB when I plug it. I have also tested the USB A voltage pins,the voltage between the far right and left pins, and the voltage difference is zero which has to be around 5 volt.
Since the warranty time is 30 days, I was wondering if one of the technicians could help me whats going on and if the board is defective.

Thank you

13 answers to this question

Hi @ashkan,

We are looking into this. On my Zybo-Z7-10 and Zybo-Z7-20 the USB OTG does not light up a usb stick with a back light led. There is also no 5 volts going to the usb OTG on either board as well. I am working on getting a petalinux project for the Zybo-Z7-10 that includes the usb host.  

thank you,

Jon

Hi @ashkan,

Our engineer that is making the Petalinux project for the Zybo-Z7-10 is scheduled to have the project done within the next 30 days. While we are waiting for this project to test the USB OTG portion of the board could you please attach your device tree from your Petalinux build? If this becomes an RMA we will make sure that the time you have had the board will not be an issue since we started working with you prior to the 30 days time frame had expired.

cheers,

Jon

Ok, I tested and it DIDN'T work. Following I have described my procedure. Maybe I am doing something wrong:

1- I updated the "system-top.dts" in "subsystems/linux/configs/device-tree/" with your "system.dts". [the Petalinux manual says for changing device tree, that "system-top.dts" needed to be changed]. In addition, I updated the local-mac-address property with the MAC address found on the white sticker on the board (which is "00 18 3E ...")

2- I then  ran "petalinux-build" to rebuild the image. After that I ran this command "/gits/linux-xlnx/scripts/dtc/dtc -I dtb -O dts -o devicetree.dts system.dtb" to double check the device tree.

After that I put the BOOT.bin and image.ub on the sd card, and boot the Linux. 

when I check the "ifconfig" the MAC is something totally different (is "00:0A:35:00..."), also the USB is not still working.

K, let's focus on the USB and circle back to the MAC address. 

Quickly, a bit of background info: the Basys 3 will cause your USB drive to light up because there is a dedicated PIC24 microcontroller on that board that is communicating with it, regardless of what the FPGA is doing. On the Zybo Z7, the Zynq is in direct control of the USB host port, so it will only cause the drive to light up if the Zynq software is working correctly.

Now is when I would typically point at our Petalinux demo for reference and to see if you can get the pre-built files to work, but unfortunately it is not scheduled to be completed for the Zybo Z7-10 until next week. When it is completed it will be posted here: https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/petalinux/start

What version of Petalinux are you using? That will determine what your device tree needs to look like to get the USB working. Depending on the version you are using, you might be able to refer to the the Zybo-Z7-20 project available at the link above. It properly configures the Zybo Z7 USB to work with Petalinux 2017.2

That demo is created for the Arty Z7-10, not the Zybo Z7-10. The binaries will not work work on your board for many reasons, most important the oscillators and DDR is very different between the two boards.

I was recommending that you look at the Zybo Z7-20 source and see if you find anything that gives you a clue what is not working with your project.

Archived