Try to develop an application with Nordic's nRF8001 DevKit and make it run on an FPGA

Hihdl

Question

QFN.jpg.9240f50c84ca0ee369cace67617fabd3.jpg

I would like to develop an application with Nordic's nRF8001 DevKit. The master emulator of this kit is an USB Dongle and it is originally meant for PC connection. My final goal for the project is to run it on an FPGA (possibly through Embedded Linux). Regarding this goal, I have some questions.

1) Is the master emulator (USB Dongle) compatible with Linux? Are there any open-source drivers or from Nordic?

1a) If there is a driver for Linux, can I use it with Embedded Linux or do I have to make some modifications to it?

1b) If there isn't a driver for Linux, can I write my own Embedded Linux driver (no prior experience on drivers)? Are there any similar/reference drivers?

2) Is it possible to use the nRF8001 chip, not the USB Dongle, with FPGA as a master, possibly through serial interface (SPI/UART)?

1 answer to this question

Hi @Hihdl,

I am positive that there are drivers in linux for usb dongles. I am not sure if they would support this specific usb dongle/nRF8001. I would suggest to reach out to Nordic to see if they have any drivers made for this product. If you can not find a driver you would be able to make one. Unfortunately, we do not have an example or tutorial on this process. I believe that you would be able to use the nRF8001 chip with out the usb dongle using spi/uart. After setting up the communication between the nRF8001 chip and the fpga you would need to configure the chip. After correctly configuring the chip you would then need to write drivers to use the chip. I would also suggest researching Nordic's software/development tools as well. RF communication is a complicated task beyond the basic send/receive. 

cheers,

Jon

Archived