Video output at VGA monitor

Shuvo Sarkar

Question

Dear experts,

I am actually new in this field and have a very few experience with zybo board. I have implemented the zybo_hdmi_in_demo which is required for my master thesis. Output video streaming at the VGA monitor shows a cropped part of my input video source. What should I do now? And can I use other HDMI source rather than my PC? And what is the preferred input HDMI video resolution? any kind of support or suggestions is highly appreciated. 

HDMI_INPUT.jpg

VGA_OUTPUT.jpg

16 answers to this question

Hi @Shuvo Sarkar,

It is hard to tell what is going on from your picture. Please copy and paste the contents of the tcl console into a file and attach it. Also could you include a full screen shot of you block design. It appears that your project does not have a wrapper. I would start with a fresh project. To do that click into the project folder. In proj double click cleanup and this should clean up the project. Next load the tcl scrip. Once the project has loaded. Click in tools->reports->report ip status and upgrade/generate the IP cores if there are any IP cores that are needing to be upgraded. Then create a wrapper if there is not one as in you project above.  Then you can generate a bitstream. 

thank you,

Jon

2 hours ago, jpeyron said:

Hi @Shuvo Sarkar,

It is hard to tell what is going on from your picture. Please copy and paste the contents of the tcl console into a file and attach it. Also could you include a full screen shot of you block design. It appears that your project does not have a wrapper. I would start with a fresh project. To do that click into the project folder. In proj double click cleanup and this should clean up the project. Next load the tcl scrip. Once the project has loaded. Click in tools->reports->report ip status and upgrade/generate the IP cores if there are any IP cores that are needing to be upgraded. Then create a wrapper if there is not one as in you project above.  Then you can generate a bitstream. 

thank you,

Jon

On 07/11/2017 at 12:28 AM, jpeyron said:

Hi @Shuvo Sarkar,

With SDK creating new folders maybe refresh the hw_platform, maybe export while sdk is open, click OK on the hardware platform changed prompt.  @hamster has a hdmi project that displays the audio db meters on the top corner of the screen. The project is in HDL but it might help you as a reference.

cheers,

Jon

On 23/10/2017 at 9:33 PM, artvvb said:

@Shuvo Sarkar

Have you connected the board to your PC over a serial connection? If I recall correctly, the HDMI input project does not automatically scale the output resolution based on the detected input resolution. However, you can manually set the output resolution through the serial connection as briefly described in the project wiki page.

Thanks,

Arthur

On 25/10/2017 at 9:33 PM, jpeyron said:

Hi @Shuvo Sarkar,

You might not want to have the HDMI connected to a monitor when programming because they will backpower our boards and sometimes screw up power supply initialization. This might cause the initial screen issue you are seen.

thank you,

Jon

Hi @jon & @Arthur,

I just have  formatted my operating system and tried to re-synthesis the Zybo Video demo. But, this I got stuck into a new problem. The project shows some errors and stop executing. I am using Vivado 16.4 and also added the library files, board files into the directory . May there are some mistake that, I could not find. Would you please have a look and direct me the right way.

Hi @Jon,

The design is working till Synthesis. Only the error massage is showing during Implementation. Could you link me the latest version of hdmi project and the library files? May be there is some errors in my copy.

tlc console.txt

block.png

On 07/11/2017 at 12:28 AM, jpeyron said:

Hi @Shuvo Sarkar,

With SDK creating new folders maybe refresh the hw_platform, maybe export while sdk is open, click OK on the hardware platform changed prompt.  @hamster has a hdmi project that displays the audio db meters on the top corner of the screen. The project is in HDL but it might help you as a reference.

cheers,

Jon

On 23/10/2017 at 9:33 PM, artvvb said:

@Shuvo Sarkar

Have you connected the board to your PC over a serial connection? If I recall correctly, the HDMI input project does not automatically scale the output resolution based on the detected input resolution. However, you can manually set the output resolution through the serial connection as briefly described in the project wiki page.

Thanks,

Arthur

On 25/10/2017 at 9:33 PM, jpeyron said:

Hi @Shuvo Sarkar,

You might not want to have the HDMI connected to a monitor when programming because they will backpower our boards and sometimes screw up power supply initialization. This might cause the initial screen issue you are seen.

thank you,

Jon

Hi @jon & @Arthur,

I just have  formatted my operating system and tried to re-synthesis the Zybo Video demo. But, this I got stuck into a new problem. The project shows some errors and stop executing. I am using Vivado 16.4 and also added the library files, board files into the directory . May there are some mistake that, I could not find. Would you please have a look and direct me the right way.

Untitled.png

Untited.png

hi @jpeyron & @artvvb ,

thanks a lot. It works now. But, every time, when I opening SDK it automatically creating new folder called hdmi_in_wrapper_hw_platform_1 and then I have to delete the whole files and import again to run it. Is, their any solution of this program? And regarding binary mask display, could you please give me more hints or may be a small demo code.

thanks in advance,

Shuvo  

To get some clarification, you want the output of the app to be the logo overlaid over the input stream? Function 8 (grab video frame and scale to display resolution) may provide some help here. Code for this can be traced back from DemoRun() in video_demo.c. It should be relatively straightforward to modify the DemoScaleFrame function to insert the pixels of the logo into the destination frame, at least as a starting point.

For the launch issue, it sounds like if the HDMI cable is plugged into the source when the demo is launched, the demo does not detect it, but it does detect the source on a plug-in event? I will need to load up the demo to look into this. The part that works is managed by the gpio interrupt routine in video_capture.h.

Side note: the guy who knows the most about the HDMI demos is out of office for the week. 

Thanks,

Arthur

Thanks artvvb,

Well, now I am getting another problem by Launching application on hardware in SDK. When I run it in SDK my source HDMI (laptop) display goes off and only the output VGA turn on. Then I need to take off my HDMI cable from my laptop to return the laptop display. In addition, my thesis topic is real-time Video processing (video Inpaint) on SoC. I want to show a binary mask (channel logo) in the output display (VGA out). Could you suggest me that, how should I start working. Is it possible to integrate other algorithm in this hdmi demo in project?

@Shuvo Sarkar

Thanks,

Arthur

Archived