How to get sufficient expertise for planning purposes

Jamie

Question

My company is planning on buying something along these lines: http://store.digilentinc.com/netfpga-sume-virtex-7-fpga-development-board/ for some high speed image processing.  We are hoping to receive approximately 18Gbit/s of raw data (over two 10Gbit connections) from each of two cameras, perform a bunch of processing, and send a reduced stream (perhaps ~10Gbits) of data over PCIe to other processing elements.  This is a big enough technical problem, but before we get there we have a nontechnical one: we have no people on staff with real FPGA experience.

From everything we've read and what people have told us about what 'should' be possible with FPGAs, we are finding no reason why our proposed architecture wouldn't work, but this is much weaker than the confidence we would like to have, where we could know for sure that it could work and getting there is "just engineering".

I am thinking we will need a consultant to weigh in, perhaps two or three to make sure we aren't wagering the whole program on one opinion.  Ideally, I would like for some of our people to gain some familiarity to at least understand the constraints to be able to interpret the consultants' answers to some depth, but I am not sure if this is realistic.

Can anyone offer advice on how I might go about answering this question of whether an appropriately sized FPGA PCIe NIC can solve my problem?  My current thought is there is no substitute for real experience, and I would do more harm than good if I were to count DSP blocks, logic cells, RAM bandwidth etc. and try to predict whether the current algorithm will fit.  But I still need to answer the question one way or another.

I realize this is not a real technical question, but I'd still be interested in your thoughts on how I might move forward.

Thanks,
-Jamie

5 answers to this question

Hi @Jamie,

I have reached out to more experienced engineers to get some input as to if the NetFPGA Sume would be a good fit for your project. I would also suggest that you use the NetFPGA forums as well. If you are not already registered, you can use the registration link located on the "Getting Started" page here. Once registered, you should also post your question on the NetFPGA forum. Unfortunately, it can take up to a week to be approved in the NetFPGA forum. 

cheers,

Jon

Hi Jamie,

I would initially put a “bare bones” type of design together with no physical hardware, get the PCIe blocks and transceivers into the design, stick some filters, clocking etc in there and built it.  If you are buying off the shelf hardware rather than building your own, you can look at the various options on the market...
Get the physical constraints file and device types for those options then stick that into the mix and go for timing closure (which is often the most challenging step on designs like the one your describing). Simulate, refine close the timing.  Once you are happy, buy the right hardware and start the debug process with integrated logic analysers etc. In your position I’d hire an experienced FPGA engineer, it will save you time and money.

Gra

@Jamie

I think your approach to use consultants is prudent. You need to buy expert knowledge, otherwise you will waste a lot of time=money. FPGA are popular but few people realise how much know-how is behind its power.

I would advise you:

1) Try to do the concept design very carefully with as much details as you can; hire somebody to do this design;

2) Don't try to save money on hardware; buy the most advanced board but the one that is well supported. Hardware is way cheaper that development time.

3) Use Zynq - ARM processors will save you time on supervisory functions, communications, testing, monitoring and health management.

I don't know what is your time budget but be aware that without proper FPGA experts your schedule can slide far beyond your estimates. Also look for relevant IP that you can buy. It will save you a lot of time.

Digilent is a great resource for education and you might be lucky to find an expert here. As for a professiona / industriall COTS hardware I would suggest also to look on Avnet. I don't know what kind of processing you have in mind but there are very powerful boards available of the shelf.

Good luck!

Archived