Basys3-locked version of Vivado Design has a end date?

Gus50310

Question

Hi

I picked up the Basys3 and the locked version of Vivado Disign which has the the discription of...

• Expanded features are available through purchase of Design Edition. You can buy a Basys3-locked version of Vivado Design Edition for $10.00 when you add a Basys3 to your cart.

....and does not say any thing about being active for a limited time but when I cashed in the voucher the Xilinx licensing site indicates it expires in a year.  

Is that correct? 

That would mean in a year to keep the analyzer tools would have to pay $3K to for the Design Edition.  Will the purchasers of the locked version be able renew the locked Design Edition after a year?

Thanks

Gus50310

2 answers to this question

The way the license voucher works is that it can be used with any version of Vivado that has been released within 1 year of claiming the voucher. The design versions of the Vivado releases are then unlocked forever. 

For example, let's say you claimed the voucher on April 5th, 2014. Vivado 2015.1 comes out on April 20th, 2015 (hypothetically, not the real release date). The current day is May 1st, 2015. Given these circumstances, you could use the logic analyzer in Vivado 2014.4 (and continue to use it forever), but you will not be able to use the logic analyzer in 2015.1. 

As far as I know, there is no ability to renew the voucher after it expires.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Archived