Sample project using USB OTG on Zybo board in Windows OS

MBALI

Question

Hi,  I am using windows OS and want to know the use of USB port on Zybo board. I have no idea how it works. Can I able to implement using verilog or I must need Zynq processor?

I appreciate if anyone have sample project which will describe the use of USB port using zybo board on windows OS.

BR

ALI

5 answers to this question

Hi @MBALI,

The USB host functionality on the Zybo runs between the multiplexed IO at the ARM processor to an IC at the USB OTG port. The communication between this PHY and the processor is not something that I would recommend trying to develop yourself. Unfortunately, that functionality has not been implemented.  The fastest way to getting USB peripherals interfaced with the board would be to run an embedded Linux image on it, for which there already exists drivers that would handle communication with various USB peripheral devices (something through PetaLinux would be quick to implement).

thank you,

Jon

Hi @jpeyron,

Thank you for your valuable comments.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am using Windows PC. Is it possible to run an embedded Linux image on it? Could you please give me some links, tutorial or step by step instructions where they deal with Windows PC.

I appreciate your help.

BR

Ali

Hi @MBALI,

I have attached a pre-build basix linux build. All you have to do is add the files to an SD card, change the jumper to boot from the sd card and insert the SD into the sd card reader. Otherwise the easiest way would be to use a VM with linux on your windows machine. Here is an instructable and Here is a Quick start guide for installing petalinux that might be helpful. For the Zybo we only have information for Petalinux 2015.4. I would also suggest to look at our resource page for the zybo here.

thank you,

sdlinux_(1).zip

Although this is an old post but still interesting especially for those who want to access USB drive connected to ZYBO to store PL sample data. 

I don't have much experience with PetaLinux but I guess if PetaLinux is running on ZYBO then we can mount the USB drive and can read and write data to USB. Can we do this is real time without manual commands ? I mean if there is a sample generator in PL which is running continuously, can we program PetaLinux to read data from PL sample generator and write to the USB drive connected to ZYBO ?   

Archived