pmodenc

ferd

Question

I am running vivado 2017.2, with the latest PMOD repository added.

The PMODENC is a 6 pin rotary board.

However , when I add this IP block to my design, PmodENC_v1_0, I see that the add IP has 40 pins or thereabouts.

Its as if this is a different part, but with the same name!

I run my "run connection automation" and then I "validate design" and I get a load of errors..

• [BD 41-759] The input pins (listed below) are either not connected or do not have a source port, and they don't have a tie-off specified. These pins are tied-off to all 0's to avoid error in Implementation flow. Please check your design and connect them as needed: /PmodENC_0/Pmod_out_pin10_i /PmodENC_0/Pmod_out_pin1_i /PmodENC_0/Pmod_out_pin2_i /PmodENC_0/Pmod_out_pin3_i /PmodENC_0/Pmod_out_pin4_i /PmodENC_0/Pmod_out_pin7_i /PmodENC_0/Pmod_out_pin8_i /PmodENC_0/Pmod_out_pin9_i

pmod.JPG

5 answers to this question

Hi @ferd,

Here is our Pmod IP core tutorial that should help with using the IP cores. That is the correct Pmod ENC IP Core.  In your case the reason your project fails is that you have not connected the Pmod out pins of the Pmod ENC to a Pmod port. You can click on board and drag a Pmod Port(JA,JB..) over to the the pmod out and it will connect the Pmod ENC to the desired Pmod port. When I add a Pmod IP core I typically right click on the Pmod Port i want to use and choose the Pmod IP i want to connect to it. Then only think you should see when generating a bitstream is critical warning about the Pmod IP ENC been packaged with a Nexys 4 DDR. These warnings will not affect your project. They are just letting you know that this IP Core was made with a different FPGA board. I have included some screen shots as well.

cheers,

Jon

PmodENC_2.jpg

PmodENC_1.jpg

PmodENC_3.jpg

PmodENC_4.jpg

PmodENC_5.jpg

PmodENC_6.jpg

Hi Jpeyron,

Thank you for your quick response.

Can you take a look at my screenshots?

I have added the repository of PMODS, and I can see these components in the IP catalog, so i know that working..

I add a ZYNC processing system and run block automation..

However when I click on the Board tab(see image), I do not see the PMOD components like you see..I can see you also see HDMI component, which I do not see...

How can I get the PMOD component to appear in the Board tab?

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Hi @ferd,

It looks like you need to install the board files as described in the Pmod IP turorial linked above with the link to the board files tutorial here.I have included screen shots of what I see in Vivado 2016.4. You are using the board file made by Avnet and do not constrain the Pmod ports.

thank you,

Jon 

zedboard_pmodENC_1.jpg

zedboard_pmodENC_2.jpg

Yes , I needed to add those board files and choose the Digilent Zedboard.

OK, getting there..

However, I cannot get the PmodENC component to display its output correctly in the Diagram window.see images..

It does display correctly in the Board window so everything should be fine, but the diagram window does not update and when I run validate design, it complains about this output port..

Capture1.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture.JPG

Hi @ferd,

I have not been able to duplicate your issue. So I have included a screen shot of where my board files are installed as well as what the folder looks like. Have you edited or changed the board files folder we have you install?  I have have also attached a screen shot of what my vivado board files folder includes have you edited the Vivado-library folder? The vivado-library folder needs to have all of these folders and files included in the Vivado-libary folder that you add to the Vivado repository. My board section in the block design has much more selections available as shown below. Could you please attache screen shots of where/what your board files look like as well as your vivado-library. I have attached a screen shot of what my completed project looks like as well as showing that I was able to generate a bitstream.

cheers,

Jon

Zedboard_PmodENC_Vivado_2017_2_1.jpg

Zedboard_PmodENC_Vivado_2017_2_2.jpg

Zedboard_PmodENC_Vivado_2017_2_6.jpg

Zedboard_PmodENC_Vivado_2017_2_4.jpg

Zedboard_PmodENC_Vivado_2017_2_12.jpg

Zedboard_PmodENC_Vivado_2017_2_13.jpg

Archived