Chipkit DP32 freezing

SeptimoTELS

Question

I'm having problems printing data on-screen, when the program is about to write it, the board freezes, it won't even allow me to reset.

In the module of the MAX30100, Vin is connected to 3,3v, GND to GND, SCL to RB8, SDA to RB9, there are also 4k7 resistances conected between SDA and 3,3v, the same goes for SCL and 3,3v. INT remains unplugged.

The almost fully white screen is the result of using the ChipKit board.

The image filled with data shows the results obtained with an Arduino UNO board, wich were proved right with a saturometer.

The last image shows the module for the MAC30100.

The files are the libraries used and the program.

I tried changing the communication speed from 100kHz to 400kHz but there wasn't any changes.

I also tried it with a pull-up resistence on the INT port of the MAX30100.

21981679_1483622285059606_880787682_o.jpg

21985882_1483624081726093_1710275433_o.png

22014505_1483626265059208_2097863459_n.jpg

examples.7z

MAX30100.7z

7 answers to this question

Hi @SeptimoTELS,

Welcome to the forums! Are you using the jumpers by setting JP4 and JP5 such that pullups are present on the bus. This is done by moving the jumper blocks to pins 2 and 3 on each jumper as described in section 8 Peripheral I/O Functions of the reference manual here. What version of the Arduino IDE are you using? Are you using the chipkit core? or Digilent Core? Please go into File->Preferences and click both box's for show verbose output(compilation,upload) then run your sketch on the DP32 and attach the text that is in the message box at the bottom of the IDE.

cheers,

Jon

21 hours ago, jpeyron said:

Hi @SeptimoTELS,

Welcome to the forums! Are you using the jumpers by setting JP4 and JP5 such that pullups are present on the bus. This is done by moving the jumper blocks to pins 2 and 3 on each jumper as described in section 8 Peripheral I/O Functions of the reference manual here. What version of the Arduino IDE are you using? Are you using the chipkit core? or Digilent Core? Please go into File->Preferences and click both box's for show verbose output(compilation,upload) then run your sketch on the DP32 and attach the text that is in the message box at the bottom of the IDE.

cheers,

Jon

Hi Jon, thanks for answering.

I'm currently using Arduino IDE 1.6.9

I talked with a teacher and he says it's a software problem, he came to that because the program worked on Arduino UNO but didn't on ChipKit, also, I used an external pull-up instead of the one provided by the jumpers.

The teacher says it might be a stack overflow problem, could that be it?

Hi @SeptimoTELS,

If you are using pins 2 and 3 I still would suggest to use the on board Jumpers. It could be a software issue but I am not quite sold on it being a stack overflow issue yet. 

1)What core are you using? Chipkit or Digilent? 

2) Have you updated the core to the latest version?

3) Have you tried using RB3 and RB3 digital pins 13 and 14. 

4) Can you attach a screen shot of the text from the message box after clicking show verbose output(compilation,upload) in the preferences.

cheers,

Jon

On 27/9/2017 at 6:40 PM, jpeyron said:

Hi @SeptimoTELS,

If you are using pins 2 and 3 I still would suggest to use the on board Jumpers. It could be a software issue but I am not quite sold on it being a stack overflow issue yet. 

1)What core are you using? Chipkit or Digilent? 

2) Have you updated the core to the latest version?

3) Have you tried using RB3 and RB3 digital pins 13 and 14. 

4) Can you attach a screen shot of the text from the message box after clicking show verbose output(compilation,upload) in the preferences.

cheers,

Jon

Hi Jon.

I'm using the Chipkit core, I'm not really sure if it's updated, I think it is anyway.

I made a mistake earlier, I'm not using the MAX30100 debug program but the one attached to this message.

The other file contains the text from the message box.

MAX30100.docx

MAX30100_Minimal.ino

Hi @SeptimoTELS,

I can not see anything wrong from the verbose text you attached. Have you tried making a simple I2C sketch and verifying I2C works on the DP32? Here is a link to some very basic I2C code. I would also make sure that your chipkit core is upgraded to the newest version. You could also try installing the Digilent core here.

cheers,

Jon

1 hour ago, jpeyron said:

Hi @SeptimoTELS,

I can not see anything wrong from the verbose text you attached. Have you tried making a simple I2C sketch and verifying I2C works on the DP32? Here is a link to some very basic I2C code. I would also make sure that your chipkit core is upgraded to the newest version. You could also try installing the Digilent core here.

cheers,

Jon

Hi Jon.

I have tried some simple I2C programs before on the same board, and I just made sure the core is updated, abaout the verbose, I don't think the problem would be there, considering the program starts running but freezes when it's about to write the first answer.

Archived