No Compatible Board Interface

FarmerJo

Question

Hi,

I am using Vivado 2017.2 to create a project that uses a MicroBlaze soft CPU core system for a Zybo development board. The intended hardware design will be enough to be able to create a simple hello world program using the SDK. There will be UART and evuntually some GPIO to interface with the boards LEDs and switches etc.

I start by adding a MicroBlaze IP to a blank block diagram. Then I run Block Automation and accept the default settings. In the TCL console I get the following info message.

INFO: [Ipptcl 7-1463] No Compatible Board Interface found. Board Tab not created in customize GUI

What does this mean and do I need to do anything to correct this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

FarmerJo

4 answers to this question

Hi @FarmerJo,

Why are you trying to implement your project with Microblaze and not using the ARM in the ZYNQ? It's not impossible to add a microblaze on the FPGA side but you'll end up with two processors.

Do you need two processors? If not, I suggest you to follow the tutorial with the ZYNQ. https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/zybo-getting-started-with-zynq/start

Best regards,

Bianca

Thanks for your reply Bianca.

I am trying to do this as part of an exercise in learning about MicroBlaze, AXI interfaces, AXI timers/UART IP and the FPGA resources in general. I am using the Zybo because it is what I have at hand.

The tutorial that you reference I have already been through in several variations but for now a hello world program using only the FPGA is what I would like to achieve.

Regards

FarmerJo

Hi @FarmerJo,

Certain parts of the Zybo are tied directly to the Zynq processor such as the UART. I have attached a screen shot of the zynq processor.  This makes the task of learning Microblaze much more difficult on the Zybo. You will need to research how to use the Zynq and Microblaze processors together. Unfortunately, I have no experience with this.

edit: Here is a Xilinx forum thread that deals with this issue on a Zedboard with has a ZYNQ processor as well.

thank you,

Jon

ZYNQ.jpg

Archived