Pynq current measurement

ananya.muddu

Question

Hi,

How did you measure the typical current ranges listed in Table 1.1 in the Pynq reference manual?

https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/programmable-logic/pynq-z1/reference-manual

I have purchased a Pynq board and would like to measure actual power consumed by different board components using an external measurement device. I was wondering whether there are shunt resistors on the Pynq (similar to the ARTY) that enable measurements listed in Table 1.1.

Best regards,

Ananya

3 answers to this question

Hi @ananya.muddu,

The engineer got back to me about your question. Typical current consumption ranges from static consumption measured with no design loaded and the sum of typical current values from datasheets of parts powered from that rail. By no means is it an exact science. If the current sense resistors are still on the revision when the OOB demo gets created, we measure the currents with that. With the PYNQ the current sense resistors were removed from the production version, so you do not have an easy task. You could measure the inductor peak current and estimate power consumption from there.

thank you,

Jon

Archived