Arty Z7 Zynq setup step-by-step

timseverance77

Question

Hi,

I have bought the Arty and the Arty Z7 boards from you guys and the step-by-step tutorials on the Artix setup were great for my learning.

Now I would like to do the same for the Z7 board but I don't see any step-by-step tutorials.   Are there any plans to make any of these?   For instance I want to start a new project and I bring in a Zynq processor into the block design, but then I need to set that up for the DDR3 chip on the board and I don't see a DDR3 in the board stuff like the Artix board had.

Thanks.

Tim

3 answers to this question

Hi @timseverance77,

We are actively working toward adding more demos/tutorials for the Arty-Z7.  Here is the Arty Z7 resource page. Here is our GitHub for the Arty Z7. I know that I have followed the zybo getting started with zynq tutorial here for the Arty Z7 with very little changes needing to be made. Also in the case for the zynq processor the board files have a configuration for the processor. The DDR3 is configured and directly connected to the zynq processor. Here is the Zynq-7000 All Programmable SoC Software Developers Guide. 

cheer,

Jon

ZYNQ.jpg

@jpeyron,

Thanks for the links, I was able to successfully go through a hello world generation and programming the SPI flash and boot from the flash.

Could you point me to information on what exactly the PORB and SRST buttons are for?   I see in the schematic they are connected to PS_POR_B and PS_SRST_B inputs.  I find that each time I press SRST sometimes the DONE light lights up quickly, sometimes it takes a while, and sometimes it doesn't light ever (I am booting from SPI flash that I programmed).   Thanks so much for your help, I am enjoying learning about using the Zynq.

Tim

Hi @timseverance77,

The Arty Z7 does not have a power switch, so when a power source is connected and selected with JP5 it will always be powered on. To reset the Zynq without disconnecting and reconnecting the power supply, the red SRST button can be used. Power-on Reset is what POR stands for. Here is the Zynq user guide. On page 701-708 you can get a more in-depth explanation of these buttons and there function.

cheers,

Jon

Archived