Possible additional functionality for Waveforms.

Go to solution Solved by attila,

Question

What I feel would be a really neat addition to Waveforms would be an serial terminal, allowing you to use a pair of the digital signals as TX and RX. It wouldn't have to be anything too feature-rich - just something like the Arduino GUI's serial monitor would be perfect. I would find it quite useful for playing around with DIP microcontrollers, avoiding the hassle of finding my FTDI breakout board, a USB cable and freeing up a USB port.

Also, some way to send I2C commands would be very cool, but I don't know what it would look like.... maybe somewhere where you can type in hex, and use a question mark to indicate a read.

> 47 34 00 00
 > 46 34  ? ? 
 00 00

Mike

PS. The Waveforms 3 beta is running really well on my Cubieboard - no need for a PC on my bench!

Edited by Josh
Added Tags

2 answers to this question

"Also, some way to send I2C commands would be very cool ..."

Agreed and seconded. Something like the inverse of the Analyzer's interpreters.

Any reasonable interface that would allow for a spectrum of pre-baked com blocks: e.g. i2c, SPI, i2s, PS2, lv RS232, Jtag, Hitachi HD44780, memory parallel (address+data bus), etc. would be a godsend. I have drawers full of various chips, such as EEPROMS, that would be nice to be able to debug/dump/write from the same prototyping platform. Having this in Waveforms would allow me to do such things from my Electronics Explorer board instead of resorting to custom building a temp MCU project each time.

Edited by CharlesS