Analog Discovery 1 Device Config Failed

Old Printer

Question

I recently purchased an Analog Discovery 1  Rev C unit and am having problems getting Waveforms 2015 to open the device. I have read the troubleshooting guide and the posts here with great attention to detail. The device shows up in Device Manager correctly as a FTDI unit and passes all the Windows tests. Running Win7 Pro in 64 bit mode. Waveforms recognizes the device as "Discovery"in Device Manager and shows the correct serial number, though it adds "210244" in front of the number on the unit. When I select the device in Device Manager the Opening Device dialog box appears, but I get the Device Opening Failed dialog box with the message-

"DptiIO failed ERC: 0x7"

"Device configuration failed (PLL3)."    The Red LED inside the case near the USB port always flashes briefly during each opening attempt.

I get this across 2 different computers, both Win7PRO-64. I have tried EVERY combination of 3 different USB cables (one only 12" long, both direct to every USB port front & back, and through 2 different powered USB hubs. I get this EXACT situation 100% of the time, on at least 50 tries. If nothing I am through :) I cannot get far enough in Waveforms to check the device current specs. I have attached a screen dump of the error message if that helps.

Just for the heck of it I installed Waveforms 2 on a third Win7-64 machine and got the same results.

Reading through the support post here I see some users have had to re-flash firmware and/or EEPROM/FPGAs. I have not made any attempt to rename or calibrate the unit.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Dave - Old Printer

Device Opening Failed Message.jpg

7 answers to this question

Hi @Old Printer

As long the device is detected by the WF application there is no problem with the EEPROM. With this new version of software the device can be reprogrammed, using the "My device is not listed" button.

Since you have tried using other computers, cables, powered hub; it is likely that the device is damaged.
Right before the PLL configuration the internal power supplies are enabled. In case some internal chip is damaged and making short circuit, this could result high current load, device disconnect, and the following communication fails at PLL configuration.

Was the device earlier subject to some dangerous experiment?

For warranty and replacement contact support_at_digilentinc.com specifying the Date of Purchase, Seller and Purchase Order/ Web order Number.

This is a new unit to me, but it was purchased used. The seller has sold a number of these devices with a good track record, and told me before the sale when I asked if it was a known working unit. quote-

" Hi, i have plugged it into my PC via micro usb, and have confirmed they are working. Have had multiple sold and no complaints. "

His feedback supported his statement, but otherwise I have no way to confirm.

Is there anything else I can try without getting too invasive?

Thank you, Dave

I am back with a replacement Analog Discovery 1 unit from the vendor. To be clear, both this and the first device are "previously owned" units. I am guessing they began life as being purchased by students, then resold when no longer needed. I have no way to verify this. Anyway, unit #2 has a different serial number, but is otherwise identical to the original. I removed the first Waveforms 2015 installation through Windows 7-64 to start fresh. The new unit installs as a serial USB device in Windows properly, and appears in Windows Device Manager as working properly. This time I am repeatedly getting the error message - Jtsc: more than one device. Device programming failed.  Screenshot attached.

The device shows up listed in Waveforms with the correct serial number, but will not open. I have searched for this error message "Jtsc", but can find no reference to it. I have now tried this on 2 different Windows 7 computers in regular and Safemode Waveforms with identical results. Any thoughts? Anyone seen this error message before?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Dave

Device Opening Failed Message 2.jpg

Cristian in Digilent support responded to my current situation with the diagnosis that the replacement unit is also damaged. He did not offer any sort of explanation to the nature of the Jtsc error message. Since Diligent does not repair non-functioning devices, it is a moot point. My experience to date in the "previously owned" device category has been disappointing to say the least. I cannot fault Digilent, as they responded to my support inquiry's promptly. While I would have liked a more detailed description of the nature of the fault, there must be a huge number of these units that were sold at the $99 student price. The expense of supporting a used device that was originally sold pretty much at cost, is no doubt prohibitive. It is also understandable that it is not practicle for Digilent to repair them, given the size and pin count of some of the chips. So to be clear, this is not a rant or complaint on my part, just a heads up to anyone thinking of buying a used device. If you get one that does not work, your options are very limited. Dave

Hi @Old Printer

I got informed about your support email and sorry to hear that this secondhand device is also faulty.

This unit seems to have issues with JTAG line between the USB controller and FPGA, the main IC. This usually indicates that the FPGA is damaged.

I would recommend getting a refund and buying new product for which you have warranty.

On 9/4/2017 at 8:25 AM, attila said:

Hi @Old Printer

I got informed about your support email and sorry to hear that this secondhand device is also faulty.

This unit seems to have issues with JTAG line between the USB controller and FPGA, the main IC. This usually indicates that the FPGA is damaged.

I would recommend getting a refund and buying new product for which you have warranty.

Thank you Attila, that is good advice that I will take. I am fortunate the seller has integrity and has offered me a full refund, though I am out the return shipping for both units. I have not purchased a used digital oscilloscope for just these same reasons, and am continuously amazed at how close to the cost of a new scope the used ones go for. Lesson learned.

Archived