FPGA getting started

Mark1000

Question

I'm just starting to learn FPGA and using a Spartan-3E that I inherited from a colleague.  I guess you program the FPGA thru the USB connection w code compiled from ISE webpack??  I'm using Windows 10.  Is all the necessary sw I need to.."get started" compatible/supported w Windows 10?

Thxs. 

6 answers to this question

Hi @Mark1000,

Unfortunately, ISE is need for making the bit file. Once you have made the bit file you can load the bit file on the Spartan-3E using iMPACT(part of ISE) or our Adept 2 software through USB.  ISE is not supported on window 8.1 or 10 although Here is a Xilinx forum thread that deals with ways to get ISE working in windows 8.1 and 10. 

thank you,

Jon

So Jon if you don't mind.. 

1) I remember something about JTAG.  I have JTAG on SPARTAN3 yet the documentation talks about USB.  Is the USB "hardware" in parallel w the JTAG hardware??  So I can use either depending on what I have on hand?

2) Is an analogy of FPGA code like the bit file is the compiled source code say in "C"?  And ISE is the source program which I use to create the BIT file ??  And iMPACT then downloads the BIT file to flash on board the SPARTAN3?

BTW..I tried the link and it doesn't work.  It crashes.  I'm going to see if I can get Windows 7 partitioned on my HD.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

@Mark1000,

You'll need to check the schematic to know if your design has an integrated JTAG, or whether it needs an external JTAG/USB programmer.  That's a function of the board you are using, though, and not the chip.  You do have the schematic for the board, now don't you?  You'll need it when building your constraints file.

You can think of a bit file as compiled source.  ISE would be like the integrated development in that analogy, passing its work off to other programs delivered with it.

I also recommend that, for your first design, you consider building something that just sets or blinks an LED and work up from there.

Dan

Hi @Mark1000,

The Spartan 3E starter kit board includes an on-board USB-based JTAG programming interface. The on-chip circuitry simplifies the device programming experience. In typical applications, the JTAG programming hardware resides off-board or in a separate programming module, such as the Xilinx Platform USB cable,  JTAG-HS2 or JTAG-HS3 which on the Spartan 3E starter is I believe connected on J28. Here is the resource page which has the reference manual , schematic, User guide as well as some reference designs. 

cheers,

Jon

Archived