Ways of connecting 2 Zedboard?

gutielo

Question

Hello. I was wondering which possible ways there are to connect 2 Zedboard. I read this thread about using an FMC-to-FMC cable and the OP was recommended to look at this. At the moment, I can't afford buying such cables so I was wondering if there are other ways?? I thought of using I2C to communicate one with another (I'd just need to get a few bits from the other Zedboard) but I'm clueless about which connection/pins I should use.

Thanks in advance.

3 answers to this question

@gutielo

A project I am currently working on has a Zybo running SPI over a PMOD port with a 5MHz spi clock (in practice the full cycle is 16 bit samples at ~80KSPS, but there is a lot of wasted time in there), this is totally reasonable and seems to work pretty well. Seems like you could potentially run a UART connection at the speeds that you want over these ports. I'm not sure, and there could be clock domain problems on the receive side that I am not considering.

I suppose that a further question would be how many PMOD ports you would be willing to dedicate to this, if your project allows you to dedicate more pins and send data in parallel, you can run at a slower clock and debounce more easily...

For selecting a protocol to use, it depends heavily on your requirements. UART is a pretty good fit for just two boards, but if you are considering adding more boards to the project later, then SPI or I2C would be easier to extend. It also depends on whether you are able to pick a board to act as a master, or if you want the project to be more peer-to-peer (probably not using the term correctly). Also consider how frequently your data will need to be sent, a bit at a time likely needs something else entirely.

Archived