Analog Discovery 2 and Matlab

kridnix

Question

I hear you may be working on at Matlab interface for the AD2 but in the meantime it seems it would be possible to use the API in the SDK to talk to the AD2 directly.  I am somewhat new to this and can see two ways to go.  One would be to use VISA which Matlab supports through the instrument control toolbox.  However when I install NI VISA I can't detect the AD2 so maybe it isn't VISA compatible?  Am I missing something here?  Another way would be to use the included Python scripts and call Python from Matlab (http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/call-python-libraries.html).  This seems a little clunkier.

Of course this is a waste of time if you are coming out with Matlab support for the AD2 in the near future.  If not any advice on the best way to proceed would be appreciated.

4 answers to this question

Another possibility is to switch from using matlab to using Python with scipy and matplotlib, which provides much of the matlab functionality (without needing a matlab license).  I've not tried the SDK with python, but it is supposed to work.

Note: I'm proposing this as a workaround, not as a real solution to interfacing to matlab.

Archived