Waveforms SegFault

D@n

Question

So, I just downloaded and installed waveforms on an Ubuntu 16.04.3 Xenial Xerus.  When I attempt to get into this program, the program is seg-faulting.

ddcrash.thumb.png.fde3f6e4f469b85065cc9d50ed981900.png

Any thoughts?  I'm hoping to use waveforms to work with a digilent discovery.  I have not yet plugged the digilent discovery in.  However, I do have a Nexys Video plugged into my computer, and Vivado up and connected to it.  That shouldn't cause waveforms to crash, should it?

Dan

10 answers to this question

Hi @D@n

It looks like there is an issue in the usb library.

@malexander Do  you have any opinion about this failure?

This shouldn't cause crash, but the DD needs the latest Adept Runtime. This is included in Windows and OS-X installer, but on Linux it needs to be installed separately.
The Xilinx tools install the Adept without package manager. To verify if the DD support get correctly installed please see if jtscdvclist.txt XC6SLX section contains DEVICE 25 beside 4, 16, 45...
/usr/share/digilent/adept/data/jtscdvclist.txt

@attila,

Welcome back to the office this morning!  This is only one of a couple items I had to share ... (I'll get to the others soon enough)

I had a struggle with the package management stuffs, so ... I wouldn't be surprised if things weren't quite installed properly.  Basically, I had installed the adept runtime via the tar file before--perhaps a couple times over.  Waveforms insisted on a deb package installer, and the package installer wouldn't work unless adept runtime had been installed via a package installer too ...

In the end, I had to use dpkg to install both an updated runtime as well as waveforms.

I'm also using Ubuntu 16.04.3.  Not sure if that's going to make a difference or not.

I couldn't find the ubuntu software installer you reference in the instructions, so I was off to stack overflow to find the dpkg command and how to use it to get things installed.  Let's just say the process wasn't pretty.

Going back to the bug ... once I turned off the power switch on my Nexys Video board, waveforms came up and worked just fine for me--both with and without the DD plugged in.  (No, I didn't try any serious business without DD plugged in... but the doc's said there was a demo mode ..)

Dan

Hi @D@n

I hope Michael will have some insight on the usb library problem.

Regarding the installation, the Adept Runtime is set as dependency because the WaveForms Runtime highly depends on it, it is linked to this.
In case the Adept Runtime is installed without package manager you could use: 
sudo dpkg -i --ignore-depends=digilent.adept.runtime digilent.waveforms_###.deb

@D@n

Can you tell me which version of Vivado you had the Nexys Video open in when Waveforms crashed? Also, does Waveforms crash if the NexysVideo is conencted and powered on but not open in Vivado?

I setup a virtual machine running the same version of Ubuntu and am not experiencing any crashes with the Nexys Video attached. However, I have not tried it with Vivado running but will after you tell me which version you were using.

Thanks,
Michael

@malexander,

Good to hear from you!  Glad you are looking into this.

I am using Vivado 2016.3 (64-bit) (see attached).  Yes, Vivado was running when I started the waveforms software.  Yes, I had used Vivado to load my design into my Nexys Video, and I had done nothing to disconnect the two.  (I even had Quartus up, but I didn't have any boards connected to it ...)

Looks like I have libusb-0.1.so.4.4.4 installed as well--if that is useful for you.

Dan

vivado-version.png

os-release

@D@n

So far I've been unable to reproduce the crash on my end. I opened hardware manager in Vivado and connected to the system monitor and even left it running. When I launch WaveForms without the DD plugged in it reports that no devices were detected but it doesn't crash. If I connect a Digital Discovery and launch WaveForms then it finds and properly configures it (see image). Please keep in mind that I installed the latest version of the adept Runtime and WaveForms using dpkg, and did not do any manual installation from the tar files. Can you execute "ldconfig -p | grep libftd2xx" at the terminal and paste the output here?

Thanks,
Michael

NexysVideo_and_DD_with_Vivado.jpg

Archived