Zybo Board Definition File

FarmerJo

Question

Hi,

I am using Vivado Design Suite 2017.2 and have installed the board definitions files for the Zybo development board. From the silk screen the board is marked as Rev B. When I create a new project in Vivaldo, for Default Part, I select the zybo-z7-10 since the board uses a Z-7010 device. In am able to follow through the Getting Started with Zynq tutorial on the Digilent web site. However, the hello world program does not output any text to the terminal.

If in Vivado I double click the Zynq7 IP I notice that in Clock Configuration|Basic Clocking I see that Input Frequency (MHz) is set to 33.333333. According to the schematic for the Zybo the PS clock frequency is 50MHz. Next I re-create the Vivado project but this time I set the Default Part to Zybo. If I now double click the Zynq7 IP I see in Clock Configuration|Basic Clocking that the Input Frequency (MHz) is now 50. I now get the expected hello world output also.

Which Default part should I be using for my Zybo board?

Also I have done some silimar work for a ultrazed-eg board, where only the PS part was used. In this case I did not need to downlolad the bitstream. But in order for the Zybo project to work with the switches, push buttons and LEDs it needed the bitstream downloaded before it would work.

Why is there a difference between the two boards?

Regards

FarmerJo

4 answers to this question

Hi @FarmerJo,

You should be using the zybo not zybo-z7-10 board files. If you keep an eye on our wiki and github, you can usually spot new info about upcoming boards before we officially announce them. This is because we develop most of our documentation and materials on these public tools/servers. This is the case for the Zybo-Z7-10 and Zybo-Z7-20. Here is a xilinx forum thread dealing with including the bitstream when exporting hardware. In this case the buttons, leds and switches are part of the PL and not the PS.

cheers,

Jon

Hi @FarmerJo,

The Zybo-Z7-10 and Zybo-Z7-20 are new upcoming boards that we have not officially announce yet.  Curious customers can usually spot new info about upcoming boards by looking in places like the board files because we develop most of our documentation and materials on these public tools/servers. Unfortunately, I do not have any information about these boards specifically.

cheers,

Jon

Archived