Digilent store and Wiki searchablity suggestions

JColvin

One thing that was brought up to me is that currently in our store and Wiki there is no way to nicely narrow down the choice of which FPGA board should be chosen for a particular task, based on the needs of having a variety of features to fill.

An ideal situation would be to have something like Newegg or Digikey style where you could check boxes of what sort of features you would like and narrow down your available options from there but from my understanding, the website store does not support such a feature. But maybe it does? I'll have to ask to find out for sure.

Presuming it doesn't, I imagine having a reduced feature table that can be directly embedded into the landing page for FPGAs that lists a variety of useful features and which boards have them would be nice. There would also be a link to the Wiki where a sortable table (by BRAM size, logic cells, IO pins, etc) could be viewed in a more friendly fashion.

The major roadblock that I foresee is that such a table would be quite large considering the number of FPGA boards we offer and the number of features that an FPGA dev board could have. Certainly, we could be picky in what is presented on the store page, but what options would people want to see that is the most relevant?

Additionally/alternatively, it is possible to create tags for each FPGA board, but that can become rapidly overwhelming, especially when a number of boards will inevitably share a similar set of tags and other products (MCU's, etc) also start sharing those tags so I'm uncertain if that would curate a better experience.

Any thoughts from the few people that happen to read this thread?

@JColvin,

In my most humble of all opinions, I would rank the most relevant features as:

• FPGA series
  • Actual FPGA within series (includes FPGA size)
  • Network: None, RMII (10/100), RGMII (GbE)
  • External RAM memory size
  • Video: HDMI in, HDMI out, HDMI in and out, VGA, none, etc.
  • Audio (if available)
  • Host interface: (USB-UART, DPC, PCIe, etc.)
  • # of PMod's
  • Has FMC (Y/N --perhaps you could merge this with the # of PMod's feature)
  • # of spare (non-Pmod, non-FMC) I/O's (think CMods here)
  • Adjustable I/O voltages (or ... not)

I'm certainly not the expert, so ... I'd love to hear any comments others might have.

Dan

Archived