chipKIT wi-fire not working

javila

Question

Is there a way to verify that my chipKIT wifire is damaged due to a powering mistake? It is not dead completely, some LED still toggle when connected to the computer,and it does send a string, and I am able to view the message via serial monitor on arudiuno IDE, but it does not execute the code beyond sending a string to the computer when turned on. Is it possible I fried my board?

7 answers to this question

Hi @javila,

It is possible to damage your board due to a powering mistake. Was the board smoking or getting extremely hot? How are you powering the Wi-fire? When you plug the usb cable in does ld6 briefly turn on and then ld1 blink for a couple of seconds? Have you tried a different usb cable? What rev of the wi-fire are you using? In the arduino ide click on file->preferences in the "show verbose output during" section select compilation and upload. Please attach the text generated when you try to upload your code. What version of arduino ide are you using? Which core are you using in the arduino ide the chipkit core or the digilent core? Can you attach your code? Here is some code that just blinks ld4 for the Wi-fire. Does this work? I also attache a picture of my wi-fire so you can see my jumper settings as well. 

/*
  Blink
  Turns on an LED on for one second, then off for one second, repeatedly.

Most Arduinos have an on-board LED you can control. On the UNO, MEGA and ZERO 
  it is attached to digital pin 13, on MKR1000 on pin 6. LED_BUILTIN is set to
  the correct LED pin independent of which board is used.
  If you want to know what pin the on-board LED is connected to on your Arduino model, check
  the Technical Specs of your board  at https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Products

This example code is in the public domain.

modified 8 May 2014
  by Scott Fitzgerald

modified 2 Sep 2016
  by Arturo Guadalupi

modified 8 Sep 2016
  by Colby Newman
*/

int led_led4 = 45; //pin 45 is ld4
// the setup function runs once when you press reset or power the board
void setup() {
  // initialize digital pin LED_BUILTIN as an output.
  pinMode(led_led4, OUTPUT);
}

// the loop function runs over and over again forever
void loop() {
  digitalWrite(led_led4, HIGH);   // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
  delay(1000);                       // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(led_led4, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
  delay(1000);                       // wait for a second
}

cheers,

Jon

20170726_145821.zip

Hello jpeyron,

I will answer your questions in the order that you asked them. 

No, the board was not smoking, and the couple times that I would touch it it was not hot.

To power the board I used a 12VDC battery that also powers daughterboards (chipkit being the motherboard).

When I plug in the USB cable LD6 and LD5 briefly turn on simultaneously  , then LD1 blinks. then LD6 briefly turns again(not LD5). 

At the moment I only have one USB cable.

I am using the chipKIT Wi-FIRE PIC32MZ.

Arduino 1.8.1

I believe I am using the chipKIT core. Not sure. This is what I have tools/boards/chipKIT WiFIRE 

The blink code does not work, I get no target found. 

Also I noticed the WiFi module geta hot, and I am not using it.

Hopefully I answered your questions correctly.

-Jose

throttle_brake_testing.ino

verbose_out.txt

Hi @javila,

Do you have another board you can test the usb cable is working. The cables can be wired to just provide power and not data. The usb cables can also stop working. Can you let me know what rev of the wi-fire you are using. It is on the back of the board below the white sticker a little left and down from the middle of the board. I have included a picture of mine showing it is a Rev B. Have you tried using the other wi-fire boards you can choose from in the chipkit board. You could also use the Digilent core as described here. I just ran your code to completion and got "throttle and brake testing" to print to the serial terminal. I attached a screen shot of the different rev's you can choose from in the digilent core for the wi-fire. Can you attach a picture of you jumper setting on the top of the board?

20170731_132037.zip

wi-fire_issue.jpg

Hello jpeyron,

The USB cable works, I used it to to program a PIC18 using MPLAB IDE.

My board is REV c. 

What is the difference in the chipKIT core and digilent core?

My board was working for couple months until I accidentally shorted my battery. Everything was working fine. Is there any evidence that my board is fried with the  previously attached verbose.txt??  

I really appreciate your help!

Best

-Jose

Image.png

DigilentPGM V1.00
Digilent Copyright 2016
Written by Keith Vogel
Monday, July 31, 2017 8:10:06 PM PDT

Comm Port: COM4
Baud rate set to: 115200
Unable to signon, this does not look like a bootloader

This is what I got after using the digilent core

Hello @javila,

At this point in time there isn't a huge difference between the Digilent Core and the chipKIT Core, but we (Digilent) now maintain and update all of our associated board files on the Digilent Core rather than the chipKIT Core.

I didn't see anything that indicates that the board is fried from the verbose file, but your new output suggests (as you likely noted) that the bootloader isn't present on the new board. This can happen if you've ever programmed the Wi-FIRE with MPLABX or directly uploaded a different .hex file or something similar. I don't know for certain if this is the case (I'll get this confirmed), but if that is the case, you would need to reload the bootloader back onto the board with MPLABX and a programmer such as the chipKIT PGM or a PICkit 3. There's a nice tutorial on how to do that here with the bootloader file that you would need on the right hand side of the WF32 Resource Center.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi ! :) 

There is an issue in MHC/BSP that doesn't allow the switches to be configured based on whether the switch is active high or active low. The switches on the chipKIT/Digilent boards are active high, whereas all of the switches on the Microchip starter kits are active low, with usually an internal pull-up.

Hence the BSP thinks that the switches are always on.

If you manually change the BSP_SWITCH_STATE_PRESSED definition (also the BSP_SWITCH_STATE_RELEASED definition), that should fix the problem.

Discord Adobe reader itunes

Archived