Sign in to follow this  
lakshman

Required 1.8v GPIO FPGA board preferably Artix 7

Hi,

I developed my project using Basys3 Board (Artix 7). Now I want 3 of my GPIO needs to work in 1.8v. I understood from data sheet I need to use bank 14 for this. but I don't know how to fix in the Basys3 trainer board.

Will you please advise any FPGA (Artic 7) board or any other FPGA which have 1.8v GPIO for few pins.

Note: I used Mixed Mode Clock Manager(MMCM) for my project to have 312MHz clock.

Kindly advise.

Thanks and Regards

Lakshman.

@lakshman,

Sigh.  I think I'm going to need to add this to my list of most common Digilent support requests.  You aren't the first one who has asked.

The problem is that the FPGA I/O voltages are set on a per-bank basis.  You can't change the I/O voltages without changing every wire on the bank.  Doing so will require a soldering gun, adding a wire or two to your board, you might need a drill, and perhaps even some new capacitors ... it's not pretty.  (No, I've never tried doing so myself ...)  It will also thoroughly void any warranty you might have, and risk breaking your board entirely.

You might find that a PMod Level shifter is a whole lot easier to purchase than the risk associated with trying to change the I/O voltage levels.

Dan

Dear Dan,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I am aware of PMod Level Shifter it's a uni-directional level shifter(one direction at a time).  we already discussed this issue few months back.

I need bi-directional level shifter to solve the issue.

will please suggest some bi-directional level shifter.

Note : PMod Level Shifter works by the directions of the various pins are controlled by physical switches. In my project , I need  real-time ability to switch the direction of GPIO from 3.3v to 1.8v & 1.8v to 3.3v

Kindly advise.

Thanks and Regards

Lakshman

@lakshman,

Hmm ... yeah ... the real-time direction shift kind of needs some intelligence, sort of like an FPGA might provide, now, doesn't it?

Digilent offers two boards with programmable I/O voltages: the Nexys 4 Video and the Genesys boards.  However, as I understand them, all of the programmable I/O is on the FMC port.  It's what you've asked for, if I understand correctly, just not in the really low cost or the PMod format.

Dan

@lakshman,

Almost, but not quite.  Certain GPIO banks have a programmable voltage--for the whole bank.  Whether that voltage is 3.3V, 2.5V, 1.8V, or 1.2V is up to you.

See the power supplies section (section 1) of the refernce manual for more information on VADJ (the adjustable voltage bank's power supply).  You can also find which wires this applies to by looking through the schematic.  Look at banks 15 and 16 on pages 10 and 11 for more information.

Dan