Create an app in petalinux for zedboard

mihai5

Question

Hi,

I followed UG981 for instalation of a new app in petalinux system. My problem is that i can not find a newer version for this guide.

I'm using Petalinux 2017.2 and this guide dates from 3 June 2014. It seems that the structure of a petalinux project has changed alot. I created an app and called it "helloMihai". It seems that my app was created in this path "/project-spec/meta-user/recipes-apps/". This guide says that i should get a path like "<project-root>/components/apps/myapp".

mihai@mihai-ThinkStation-P310:~/FPGA/accelerator$ find . -iname "helloMihai"
./build/tmp/sysroots/plnx_arm/sysroot-providers/helloMihai
./build/tmp/sysroots/plnx_arm/pkgdata/helloMihai
./build/tmp/sysroots/plnx_arm/pkgdata/runtime-reverse/helloMihai
./build/tmp/sysroots/plnx_arm/pkgdata/runtime/helloMihai
./build/tmp/deploy/licenses/helloMihai
./build/tmp/stamps/cortexa9hf-neon-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/helloMihai
./build/tmp/work/cortexa9hf-neon-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/helloMihai
./project-spec/meta-user/recipes-apps/helloMihai

The real problem is that when i try to build and include my app in root file system, i get an error...

mihai@mihai-ThinkStation-P310:~/FPGA/accelerator$ petalinux-build -c rootfs/helloMihai
[INFO] building rootfs/helloMihai
[INFO] sourcing bitbake
INFO: bitbake rootfs/helloMihai
Loading cache: 100% |############################################| Time: 0:00:00
Loaded 3235 entries from dependency cache.
Parsing recipes: 100% |##########################################| Time: 0:00:01
Parsing of 2447 .bb files complete (2411 cached, 36 parsed). 3237 targets, 224 skipped, 0 masked, 0 errors.
ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'rootfs/helloMihai'. Close matches:
  helloMihai

Summary: There was 1 ERROR message shown, returning a non-zero exit code.
ERROR: Failed to build rootfs/helloMihai

Can someone help me with this issue ?

3 answers to this question

Hi,

I solved my problem. According to this thread if you want to include an app or a module in your petalinux rootfs you have to write the name of the app/module with lower case letters. That worked for me.

The apps will be put in rootfs in /usr/bin and not in /bin directly as it is for older petalinux versions (i use 2017.2). Also, the modules are already installed in kernel (you can see that the "probe" function is called at kernel initialization).

Thanks,

Mihai

Archived