How to emulate firmware through 6 pin JTAG?

BradMX5

Question

I have a device that loses all its firmware when the battery dies and would like to be able to copy the firmware from a good one so I can reload the firmware to ones that have died to get them running again.

I know the chip inside is a Dallas DS5250FP-825 and the connector the device uses to communicate is a 6 pin JTAG.

What tools will I need to do this?

Sorry I'm new to all this so any info or a point in the right direction will be helpful and I'll try to answer any question I can.

4 answers to this question

The Project Vault is for posting working code for various devices. I'm not sure where your question should be posted or even if any of the Digilent forums are appropriate. I can say that JTAG is a fairly universal interface for a lot of components to access internal resources, program internal memory or for debugging. One place that you might want to try investigating is the Open OCD. This open source project has been around for some time and might steer you toward the best solution to your problem. 

49 minutes ago, zygot said:

The Project Vault is for posting working code for various devices. I'm not sure where your question should be posted or even if any of the Digilent forums are appropriate. I can say that JTAG is a fairly universal interface for a lot of components to access internal resources, program internal memory or for debugging. One place that you might want to try investigating is the Open OCD. This open source project has been around for some time and might steer you toward the best solution to your problem. 

Thanks I'll go check them out.

Archived