No valid target connected to the server

Vivadong69

Question

I am trying to follow the "Getting started with Vivado and Basys3" tutorial. When trying to get to step 5.7, I am trying to open a target (my Basys 3) but I am getting this error:

"There is no valid target connected to the server. You must fix the problem or select another server before proceeding."

Some details:
-I have continuity cap for QSPI in the JP1 spot and continuity cap for USB in the JP2 spot.

How do I get Vivado to recognize my Basys 3? Please help!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_GxkslqbcU

https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/basys-3-getting-started/start

No Valid Target.PNG

12 answers to this question

@Vivadong69,

This sounds like you didn't fully install Vivado.  In particular, Vivado needs to install certain "board drivers" to get access to your board. 

On a Linux system, these drivers can only be installed if the installer runs with administrative privileges.  Check your udev rules, to see if there's a a 52-xilinx... rule.  (My udev rules are in /etc/udev/rules.d)

If you are on a Windows system, please check your device manager to see if the device is registered.  If you aren't certain, please post a picture of the devices connected to your computer.

Dan

@Vivadong69

If Dan is correct and you haven't installed the cable drivers necessary to connect to your board, you can get them through the Vivado installer (Help->Add Design Tools or Devices). I've attached a screenshot of the stage where Install Cable Drivers is an option.

Hope this helps,

Arthur

Capture.JPG

Hi thanks for the help but I'm still having problems. Below are my options for installation. I made sure to check Install Cable Drivers but I am getting the same server error when trying to open a new target. 

My next step is to completely reinstall Vivado to make sure I obtain the correct drivers and license files. Any other suggestions

Reinstalling Drivirs.PNG

@Vivadong69,

Well ... that looks good.  You are just about at the limit of what I know how to do--esp. since I'm not one of the Digilent staff (nor do I get paid for this).  Perhaps one of the hardware team (@Bianca?) can help on Monday morning.

I do know the next step from watching often enough, though.  They'll want to see a snapshot of the devices that your Windows system (via the Control Panel) shows are connected to your computer.  That's an important part of the diagnostic, I just don't know much more than that.

I do know, though, that you don't need to get any of this working to program your Basys3 board.  You should be able to program it just fine from a thumb drive plugged into the USB port.  (I never programmed my Basys3 via Vivado, always through a USB stick.)  You might find that the thumb drive programming approach gets you going ... while you wait to hear Digilent's team respond.

Dan

Thanks Dan for your help. I think I might need some pointers from the Digilent Team come Monday. Would you be able to point me at a resource to learn how to program via USB?

Vivado is still not recognizing my Basys 3 device. When I open Hardware Manager I am unable to connect to a target.

The things I have tried:
(1) Multiple attempts at Help -> Add Design Tools or Devices to make sure I am installing the Cable Drivers
(2) It had me install WinPCap or something
(3) Restarted in a new project diligently following every instruction -> I still have the same problem.

@Vivadong69,

Yeah, sure, look at the reference page for the Basys 3 and scroll down tot he section on FPGA configuration.

Basically, you place your bit file in the top level directory of your USB stick, adjust the jumper settings, and then press the red PROG button.  Make sure it has a ".bit" file extension.  You should be good to go.

This'll work until you need to load an image onto the flash, such as a program file for the MicroBlaze.  I'm not sure if anyone's solved that problem, especially if you aren't using the JTAG.  I've gotten around it by using a ZipCPU, and programming the flash via a debugging bus approach that turns UART commands into internal bus commands (memory reads/writes) on the device.

Dan

Hi @Vivadong69,

First of all, is your board powering? Can you see the demo running on the board? I need to tell you to make sure that the board is on when you try to program it. (I had users who didn't turn the board on, so I need to take every step with everyone). Second, like Dan said, I need a screen shot to see how is the board recognized by the computer. Can you send me one and make sure you point out the device or tell me if nothing shows up.

That error is typically given when the board is not powered. This is why I need first to know that the board is powering and you can see activity. Send me the screenshot and we'll see from there what is the issue.

Best regards,

Bianca

Hi Bianca, yes the board is powered up and is running the counting demo.
Dan is mentioning the "Windows System" via the control panel. I'm not sure exactly what that means. 
I am trying to find where my computer is recognizing the Basys 3 but having trouble.

Bianca, I think I need to find a different USB cable to make sure I have the ability to transfer data. I have included a screenshot showing that this Hardware is not showing up when I plug it in. Thanks for all your help with these (basic) challenges :)

Device Manager.PNG

Archived