Adept Utility for Windows and the 3A-DSP1800 device

zygot

Question

I'm trying to use the Adept Utility to program a 3A-DSP1800 device with the HS1 JTAG cable. I have no issues with a regular 3A device. With the 3A-DSP1800 device the utility correctly reads the ID code but displays "UNKNOWN DEVICE" where it should display the correct device. My memory is a bit fuzzy on this, but I seem to recall that the utility needs to have specific devices listed in some configuration file for the cable. I have no idea where to look.

I was able to use IMPACT to program the device using the HS1 so I know that the issue is software related.

Any help would be  appreciated as it sure is nice using the Adept Utility in windows; and I'm not particularly fond of Impact. Also, the Adept Utility and Impact don't get along even when the Adept Utility is connected to a different device ( in my case it is ).

5 answers to this question

HI zygot,

Each FPGA series may have a different JTAG configuration algorithm and a different set of instruction codes. The Adept Utility (djtgcfg) and Adept Application were designed to configure CPLDs and FPGAs that are on Digilent system boards. It may or may not support parts that aren't on Digilent boards. That being said I do see the XC3SD1800A in the configuration file with an ID code of 0x06840093. Does the IDCODE reported by Adept match that one? On Windows the config file is located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Digilent\Data\jtscdvclist.txt". You may be able to add the IDCODE to the list if it's different from the one that's already there.

Thanks,
Michael

@malexander,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I checked the file that you reference. The IDCODE that Impact and the Adept Utility read from the device is 0x03840093 not 0x06840093. Is it possible that there's a typo in the jtscdvclist.txt file? I was able to modify the file but the Adept Utility still doesn't seem to recognize the IDCODE.

Hi Zygot,

Having looked at the BSD files in ISE I do think it's possible that it's a typo. However, since I didn't add these devices to the list and since they've been there for many years I'm reluctant to modify jtscdvclist.txt that we publish in the installer. If you want to try changing it in your local copy there are two linesof the file that you will need to modify:

1. change "XC3SD$A 06800000h    0FE00000h" to "XC3SD$A 03800000h    0FE00000h"
2. change "1800    06840093h    0FFFFFFFh" to "1800    03840093h    0FFFFFFFh"

Hopefully this will at least make it recognize the part.

Thanks,
Michael

@malexander,

I had only modified the one line. Once I changed both the Adept Utility recognizes and programs the part successfully. Thanks for the guidance. I doubt that there's going to be a lot of issues here but at least we both know what to do. The Adept Utility is a very reliable and well behaved alternative to the "other" tools.

Regards, Bill

Archived